Listen to the speakers talking about their heroes and do the exercises to practise and improve your listening skills.

Which of the heroes described in the listening were you most interested in? Why? Do you have a hero of your own? Tell us about them!

Comments

yare8p's picture
yare8p 15 May, 2020 - 22:07

I would choose Rachel Carson like my hero 'cause i think the environmental pollution nowadays is big problem for our planet. If we don´t treat the earth better, it won't exists future for us as a specie.
For now, my hero is my mom, because she does everything for the welling of me and my brother, she is a single mom but we never have been lacked of nothing.

freshta01's picture
freshta01 14 May, 2020 - 04:40

It was a great audio containing content. I admire all of them for their services to education, animals, and human rights. I believe these people are true heroes. The bravery of Kailash Satyarthi is appreciatable, and the message John Lenon shared in his song "Imagine" is precious. There are children who still do not have formal education in the 21st century and war is occurring in third world countries. We need to raise our voice, show our support and work toward world peace, the way these heroes did in their own ways. I wish for world peace, yet try my best to have a part in bringing peace to this world.
I also want to tell you about my hero in my life. My mom is my hero. She has gone through tough times in life just for us to have a better future and be in a better place. I wish I be able to fulfil her dreams by studying and become a person who cares for this world.

Wilbert1's picture
Wilbert1 11 May, 2020 - 03:29

It is a great story, in agreement that my heroes are my parents have supported me all my life making me achieve all my goals, dreams among other things. It made me change different thoughts.

Aldenith's picture
Aldenith 7 May, 2020 - 05:03

I am more interested in the story of Mary Anning, I liked it because she talks about how she turns the stereotypes or the division of social classes, showing what she can do, for the moment I do not have a hero

Jasiel's picture
Jasiel 18 March, 2020 - 16:11

My heroes are my parents. My parents have always brought happiness to the home. They have always supported me and my brothers. They have always been there for me in my most difficult moments. I remember when I had problems in my homework and my parents always helped me out.

Askar100's picture
Askar100 3 March, 2019 - 14:41

It was very interesting listening audio material! After listening this I liked Kailash and Rachell Carlsen most. Because they did important jobs for the whole world! Mary Anning is also good but her job related to the dinosaurs history. So because of this I think it is less important. As I understood John Lennon was great or legendary musician or singer. But I think you cant change world with music. As for me I dont have any hero at the moment. But I want hero for my country who can rule the whole country very well and decide all the main problems in order to live happy all people in my country!

bilko's picture
bilko 1 August, 2018 - 11:25

In this listening part, I am mostly interested in Mary Anning. Because I believe equality before the law and the reason behind the all disputes are injustice.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 13 May, 2018 - 10:49

Hi SAMkz! Sorry to hear you're having problems. I've just tested it and it works fine for me. Do the other listening pages work for you? Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

gigly's picture
gigly 4 December, 2017 - 11:53

I was interested in Kailash Satyarthi's story because he risks his life to save children and I think that's very brave and not everybody would do that.. My heroes are probably my parents because they do everything for me.

dandelion_yellow's picture
dandelion_yellow 12 September, 2017 - 19:41

unfortunately, i have not a hero, but i really admire of Kailash Satyarthi after listening about him. i think, it is very important now to find people like him, because of responsible not only about our lifes, but also the life of others. i will look up to Kailash.

Justin_Seagull's picture
Justin_Seagull 29 June, 2017 - 16:03

In this listening, I were the most interesting in Kailash Satyarthi. I admired the way he became aware of the problem of children working. He was just 6 years old and he struggled to save children.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 6 June, 2017 - 11:01

Oh... In case of heroes, well, there are loads of them! I liked Mary Anning, because she was quite young yet she discovered so many things!!! And my own heroes are... Well, there are loads of them, so I'd like to list them down:
1. Mahatma Gandhi (freedom fighter)
2. Mother Teresa (gosh, she was so kind!)
3. My parents (you don't know how much they suffer for you)
4. Neil Armstrong (he was quite brave!)
5. JK Rowling (you might not know her life story!)
The list gets crazy from here on...
6. Harry Potter (trust me, he was inspirational)
7. Ash Ketchum (from Pokemon, 'cause I loved the way he takes care of Pikachu and others)
8. Tyson Granger (from Beyblade, because he might be stupid, but he still has a reason behind his stupidity)
9. Charlie Bone (he's a book character, and it great how he fights over evil)
10. Septimus Heap (I loved the way he takes care of his family even though he only knew that few months ago, and he's a book character)
11. Mortimer Folchart (from book Inkheart, the way he risks his life for his family..)
And the last but not least,
12. Me!!!! I never give up. That's perhaps why I admire myself. Well, not like those above, just a teeny weeny bit!

YinYang's picture
YinYang 7 May, 2017 - 10:45

Do you know Edward Jenner?
Most people don't. That is not a problem. This British doctor did good work not for the sake of fame but in an attempt to help humanity.
He would not sound familiar yet to you. He was the man who invented the vaccine. He eradicated smallpox from his village using it, and soon smallpox was gone from the UK and 31 years after he died smallpox was totally eradicated from the world.

rayito65's picture
rayito65 10 November, 2016 - 18:02

My hero is goku because he are very strong and is a super sayayin level 5. and in the chapter 5 second season he saves the wold from mayimbu.

farzam's picture
2010x
farzam 23 October, 2016 - 20:42

I admire or describe each of these heroes works and specially if i spelled write his name Jon Limon because his works was valuable . In this since each person are eager of peace and universal peace.

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 24 October, 2015 - 00:22

I would like to ask you a question : Do you know Archibald Campbell?
After receiving my question, the majority of people said that they didn'. There are no problems if you know nothing about him because he was only a teacher teaching at a school in America. He always encouraged his students to chase their dreams and spent time listening his student's ideas although sometimes the dreams seemed to be illogical.
After reading my introduction about him, I am sure that you still don't know who Campbell was, and you needn't know about him. Maybe 30 years or 100 years after, no one can remember his name, but 100 years or even 1000 years after, no one can forget his three students : George Washington, James Madison and James Monroe. ( The first,the fourth and the fifth American president .)
In my opinion, the word " famous" is only used for a few people. The famous people seem to be the heroes of the world, but the word " hero" is not only used for famous people but also for people who is working hard for a better society. Invisible works and no one cares about them, but they are changing our world.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 24 October, 2015 - 11:31

Sound spot-on to me, Ginag!
It might be possible that you are a hero 100 years after! :))
What would you do to change our world?

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 24 October, 2015 - 13:28

I would draw a new world map. :D
By the way, there is a saying that: Behind a successful man, there is a woman.
I also have another saying : Behind an unsuccessful man. there is a woman,too.

Ken's picture
Ken 26 October, 2015 - 09:58

Interesting saying!
I think I've heard the similar words in an old film…Have you heard?
'Ageman'=Lady Luck, who brings luck to a man and 'Sageman'=who brings bad luck to a man.
And I believe my girlfriend is, of course, Lady Luck to me!!
ヽ(゚∀゚)メ(゚∀゚)ノ

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 24 October, 2015 - 23:24

Aha ha ha!
You're bright and really insightful, despite being young! :D
Well, My mum, who is a real lady, often tells me behind my dad: "I'm a FEMALE. FE=iron, MALE=man. Therefore I'm Iron man!"
What about this one? :)
Super!! I look forward to the day when you put your discovery on the world map!
Hand in hand… let's go shares with me!! :)))))

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 11 June, 2017 - 11:16

Whoa, you're mum sure is cool! She sounds so determined!! And you, being her daughter, can definitely do more! Hear out, everyone! Iron lady of the world is arriving in the red carpet!!! :)))

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 25 October, 2015 - 09:40

Your mum is very great. ( She may be good at Chemistry when she was a student :D)
Sometimes when I am tired of studying all day,my brain can't control my speech. I answer someone's questions immediately without thinking so the answers seem to be illogical. I am happy about your appreciation although I know that it is not the answer you expect. Once, my teacher asked me " In your opinion, what is the easiest way to chase dreams ?" I replied him: " The simplest way is........" ( I read a funny story and I imitated its answer) You can't imagine how his face was after listening my answer. ( Till now, I can't forget it)
I have so many foolish answers for insightful questions. Are you curious ?
Do you have to go to your school on Sunday? Sunday seems to be the busiest day in my schedule.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 26 October, 2015 - 03:23

Aha ha, hi gianggiang!
You're so diverting and I'm very much curious about your lots of creative (imitative) answers for insightful questions! Tell me, tell me, tell me some of them, please!
By the way, giang, my question about the dream is originally illogical, you know, so no dream is logical!

How come is Sunday the busiest day for you?
---Ha-ha… your homework day!? ;-)

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 26 October, 2015 - 12:21

Hi, I replied him: " The simplest way to chase our dreams is turning off the alarm clocks and continuing sleeping."
( Because we often dream when we are sleeping. :D)
Once, our teacher reminded us : " You know, on the road to success, there are no lazy people's footprints ." I immediately whispered : " Of course, because lazy people often use bikes/ motorbikes/cars/ planes to the destinations of success, they never walk on foot. ..... So foolish !
You know, the majority of schools in Vietnam require students to go to school on Sunday. Our teachers explain that we should study as soon as possible, so we have to study 4 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the evening and 2 hours after finishing studying at shool, we have to do lots of homework and prepare for the next lessons. I exhaust ! However, it isn't as terrible as it one year ago, I had to spend 10 hours per day to study only Math because I had to attend a competition....

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 11 October, 2015 - 14:18

In the listening, I'm interested in heroes who achieved something good for the world. They were no doubt an esteemed person, but I think no hero makes it alone. I tend to pay my attention to the people who support a 'hero'. Although I'm not really sure if John Lenon is a hero, I think he was a good musician and played a role as a peace ambassador according to his wife's suggestion………..
Anyway, a hero is in each of our heart!!