Magazine topic:
Sport

My love/hate relationship with running

by :
Bethan Morgan

I don’t know about you, but my feelings towards running seem to change more often than I would like them to. I go through phases of really not enjoying it, followed by being almost obsessed by it.

I’ve been running for as long as I can remember, as both of my parents run, and they encouraged me to join them from an early age. As a family we are very much health and fitness orientated, so for us it has always been quite an important part of our lives.

I started by doing short jogs around the area I live in, just a ten minute run or something like that. While I was at secondary school I would wake up at 6am (I know, so early) and go for a twenty minute run through the park near my house. This slowly increased as I became more confident and from then I would try to increase either the distance I was covering or the speed at which I was doing it. This was definitely one of my obsession periods.

Before I went away to University I joined a gym near my house with my parents and from then on focussed more on that rather than running. I used the treadmill in the gym, of course, but I preferred to use other machines such as the bike or exercises with weights, for example. Then I moved away and joined a gym at my University, and did pretty much the same as I had done at home. After two years of being a member there I decided I was ready to take up running again, as it was cheaper. Besides, I was about to go on my year abroad and I wasn’t sure what the gym facilities would be like in the small town I was going to be living in.

Throughout my year abroad I ran in the mornings again, before work. I enjoyed doing that, as it meant that I got my daily exercise done early and had the rest of the day to do what I wanted to do. Another advantage of running at that time was that there weren’t many people around to see me looking like a tomato!

Now back in the UK again, my passion for running is at an all-time high. Last year I competed in my first Race for Life, a run to raise money to help fight cancer. It isn’t necessarily a competitive run; however I managed to come within the top ten runners, out of thousands of women and girls. Since then, my love for the sport has increased and this has meant that I have been able to run further and faster than ever before. Hopefully from now on our relationship will be purely positive, rather than falling in and out of love.

Do you enjoy running? What do you do to keep fit?

Comments

hadia's picture
hadia 11 April, 2015 - 09:43

well! i love running usually in the morning and I prefer running with my sister. She gives me a good company and usually I don't get bored because of this We talk , run and have fun!

Ken's picture
Ken 12 April, 2015 - 09:48

I like running, I used to do jogs every morning. But I preferred track and field to a marathon. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of gall enough to keep running a long distance which, that's why or why not, is seemingly-meaningless to me… I wish I was much fitness oriented and kept running strongly like Thomas (& Friends)!

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 22 April, 2014 - 16:46

I hate running. Like LOATHE it. With all my heart and soul.
Okay, i admit that is kinda exaggerated. But I'm no runner. Hell naw. I'm just gonna sit here and watch my shows. Eating chocolate. No sun or rain. Paradise.

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 3 June, 2015 - 11:24

Ahahaha:-)Why Khaleesi?Running is health!But OK my sister is like you-No,no,no NO RUNNING!

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 9 February, 2014 - 17:37

I like running.It is the best of sport.it is keep fit and we can enjoy in nature.It is very good for our health.

leonguyen's picture
leonguyen 30 January, 2014 - 11:32

After reading this, I want a change of my schedule, I have to do something to improve my day :)

SemaSou's picture
SemaSou 17 August, 2013 - 15:15

Many reasons prevent me from going to the gym club during the school year :lack of time , big distance between my house and the club..
Finding myself obliged to practise sth indoors , running remained the sole salvation from stress and life's routine and it was really an efficient one and now every time I feel bored angry sad or sth like that I go running ..You can't imagine the effect of it on my humor and well-being a magical remedy from life's problems

action_FBI's picture
2064x
action_FBI 16 August, 2013 - 20:15

i like running but I'm in a new Neighborhood and it don't have a place to run on. so i decided to go swimming instead.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 29 July, 2013 - 15:11

Oh yeah i enjoy walking on the morning and at night going out with bicycles thats my secret why my body is perfect and fit :)

Anulik's picture
Anulik 20 July, 2013 - 15:48

I think there should be appropriate places for running, for example if I start running in our street everybody will look at me in surprise, I think it's a mode of life, a culture , it shuld be developed since childhood

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 17 July, 2013 - 14:12

I sometimes go running but when i do this i enjoy it. i don't have to keep fit because i am but i just do it for fun .

CharlyMarly's picture
CharlyMarly 10 July, 2013 - 12:50

sorry, i don't like it... it's soo boring... i do a lots of sport but i wish, i like running so that i improve my endurance. and i am also really slowly, no matter how much i train.

Natalija's picture
Natalija 25 June, 2013 - 19:38

Hi, ilyaKZ!
Well, start thinking about running as a part of your daily routine. Force yourself several times, a week, for example, and it will be easier for you later, when you got used. And you could give yourself some reward after running, like doing something you like or preparing your fave meal. It will motivate you, I guarantee. And just think of how running can improve you immune system, your health and appearance, and you'll run faster:).

ilyaKZ's picture
ilyaKZ 24 June, 2013 - 14:57

Hmm... And it is a problem for me to wake up early and go running :( It is tiring... boring... Have you any ideas to make the running more pleasant?

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 29 June, 2013 - 11:48

Hi! I agree with Natalija, also I would say that it depends whether you prefer running alone or with others. If you run alone, I suggest listening to upbeat music to help you keep a good pace and lift your spirits if you're struggling. If you prefer running with others make sure you keep up a good conversation so you can take your mind off the running itself and just enjoy spending time with people :) also I find running with others motivates you to keep going, as you don't want to be the first to stop!

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 10 June, 2013 - 09:50

i know i have to run every day .. and i like running sport .. but i don't find a time for running .. when i back to my home after school .. i eat then i go to do my home work ... i wish i can have a time to run in the future

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 6 June, 2013 - 18:03

I don't like running because I am not a sport person. I don't have to do sth to stay fit, because I am.

Natalija's picture
Natalija 27 May, 2013 - 14:27

It's option D in the answer key. I though it was option A, because it seemed to be more logical. Thanks for explaining me:).

sirajkhan's picture
sirajkhan 9 June, 2013 - 09:48

in english you have very close option, so first you have to comprehend the sense of the sentence

Natalija's picture
Natalija 26 May, 2013 - 17:32

Hi, Jonathan,
Thanks again:). Can I ask you one question more? I had this sentence in one test and I had to fill the gap:
"It’s late. It’s time _______________ home."
a) we go
b) we must go
c) we should go
d) we went
Which answer would you choose?

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 27 May, 2013 - 06:16

Hi! Hmm, tricky. I would say D. There are some phrases which take a past tense clause after them, such as It’s time we took a break. / I’d rather we took a break. / It would be good if we took a break. But it’s actually talking about the present moment. (= I want to take a break now.)

I think many people would also say option A is correct, but D is probably the best answer. What did the answer key say?

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Natalija's picture
Natalija 25 May, 2013 - 21:33

I have one grammatical question. Can anyone tell me what's the difference between as and like? When do we use "as" and when do we use "like"? Thanks in advance:).

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 26 May, 2013 - 08:39

Hi! OK, here's a super short explanation. After "as", use a clause (subject + verb) but after "like", just use a noun or pronoun. See examples 1 and 2 below. But, people often use a clause after "like" too - see example 3. This sounds a bit more informal than "as".

1. She went to Oxford University, as her mother did. (a bit more formal)
2. She went to Oxford University, like her mother.
3. She went to Oxford University, like her mother did. (a bit more informal) Try writing an example sentence here to see if you've understood it perfectly. :-)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

ALICE2013's picture
ALICE2013 25 May, 2013 - 17:29

I'm hooked on running.I always run about one hour in the morning everyday.Running not only let me enjoy the nature,but helps me to keep fit as well.I prefer to running by myself ,because I always think about things what I've done and what I 'll do next.I fell relax and have more energy after running.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 25 May, 2013 - 18:26

Hi ALICE2013,
I know exactly what you mean - I'm totally hooked on running as well! A good run in the morning puts me in a great mood all day. I feel so relaxed afterwards. Also, I often have good ideas or find solutions to problems while I'm running, without even thinking about them.

OK, some questions for all you running enthusiasts:
Where do you like to go when you run? Do you prefer to run up hills or on flat?

Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens team)

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 21 May, 2013 - 13:02

i love running but i live in a big city and it`s difficult
to find a place where you can run

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 22 May, 2013 - 09:45

I agree, I sometimes run in the park near me as it is more peaceful and there aren't as many people! But sometimes it's easier to run through the town as there are more routes - as long as it isn't too busy!

ellen's picture
ellen 17 May, 2013 - 18:06

yes, Bethan Morgan
When was set up this site?
How many are people enter on this site?
Which countries enter this site the most?
please.....

katten99's picture
katten99 16 May, 2013 - 14:09

I´m a swimmer so a really don´t enjoy running so much. But when I´m running I think it feels wonderful, because you don´t have to think of anything else. When I run I do it because I want to get away from everything. I swim seven times a week and plays golf five times that´s how I keep fit and strong ;) I like to run on my own, then I can run how far and fast I want to :)

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 16 May, 2013 - 15:00

Wow, that is very impressive! Swimming is something I would like to do more of as it is such good exercise.

marli's picture
20608x
marli 7 May, 2013 - 17:30

to be honest i dont like it so much but i have to run because i want yo keep my body in perfect way. so its nesesary for me. :)

thepelimies123's picture
thepelimies123 2 May, 2013 - 09:51

I don't like running alot. Sometimes it bores, Sometimes it's just so annoying.. But sometimes it's fun, Like in summer or spring. :)

AHMED 95's picture
AHMED 95 20 April, 2013 - 13:02

I ENJOY RUNNING BY RUNNING I FEEL SATISFIED < WHEN I BREATH IN RUNNING TRACK WHEN I LOOK TO MY TARGET WHEN I DO MY BEST IN RUNNING I FEEL SATISFIED .

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 21 April, 2013 - 07:51

Hi AHMED 95! Thanks for your comment but please don't write all in CAPITALS. It seems like shouting and it's harder to read. Look forward to reading more of your comments! :-)
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

giorgi.shonia's picture
giorgi.shonia 20 April, 2013 - 00:05

i very enjoy running, it's very good way to keep fit and be healthy... I lost 15 kg. in 2 month by running, i was feeling like a fully charged by energy every morning ... I'm going to continue running, I miss it :)

ellen's picture
ellen 19 April, 2013 - 10:58

Hello everybody.
I like running, it keeps us fit and while running, we can enjoy in nature.
İ running every day.Because, my healty it is very nice.