Magazine topic:
Sport

Will the 2012 Olympics bring the world together?

by :
Henrietta Curtis

From Beijing’s dazzling opening ceremony to Usain Bolt’s breathtaking sprints, the 2008 Olympics captivated audiences worldwide. Next summer though, it will have been four years since the Olympic torch was passed from Beijing to London. When London bid for the Olympics, it promised that the game’s legacy would be to encourage young people to take up sports. Thus, a big question is whether this promise will be kept.

Since 2008 the world has been brought together over a variety of issues. Economic problems, terror threats, natural disasters and nuclear disasters, uprisings and civil wars. Yet much of the time these have created rather than healed divisions between and within nation states. How then, can an event where nation state’s identities are more visible than any other time, be seen to promote unity?

Perhaps it is because the Olympics is more than an event that pits nation against nation, it is a competition for individuals. The world comes together for the sake of these talented men and women. People who are at once both ordinary and extraordinary. These athletes work hard to push the physical boundaries of what humans can achieve, and in doing so they inspire and fascinate people all around the world.

So when the world turns its attention to the Olympics of 2012, maybe London will indeed fulfill its promise to inspire young people. If not inspired to start a new sport, maybe inspiration will lie in knowing that people with vastly different backgrounds and beliefs can compete on a world stage with grace, dignity, and most importantly, respect.

Are you looking forward to the Olympic Games?

Do you agree with Henrietta that sports can help people overcome their differences and conflicts?

Comments

dzeni's picture
dzeni 9 March, 2014 - 12:08

Yes, I agree with Henrietta. I think sport is something that connect people all around the world. It really helps to forget all differences and conflicts. I always looking forward to the Olympic Games because I like sport.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 25 October, 2013 - 20:04

I watched Olympics games with my dad and with my family, not every game. It was really fun and good. :)

Alina Serg's picture
Alina Serg 20 May, 2013 - 16:26

I like the Olympics,and think that this is the game,which makes the world harmonious.Each sport,of course,helps people overcome their differences and conflicts,because when you have one target,you want to achieve it anyway.You forget about all disagreements with some people,because you should think only about winning.
Actually,I watch each series of the Olympics,but what I like more are Paralympic Games.People,who take part there are people,who really deserve the attention of global audience,because they are the strongest people in the world.They could overcome themselves and they shew us,that they are usual people like we,and,moreover,they do impossible.When I watch these games or the Olympics,I have a desire to take up new sport and prove myself that I can do impossible too.

Natalija's picture
Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 21:08

I really believe that sport can get people together. Through mutual activities, people start to get to know better each other, so it makes life easier. I am really looking forward to the next Olympic games, but I'll have to wait four years;).

IvaParker's picture
IvaParker 1 March, 2013 - 11:22

Hi JoEditor ! I sow the article and is very helpful for me and my friend . Can you find us one article that speak only for the book David Copperfield because we have a project to study that book .....!!!!!

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 1 March, 2013 - 06:20

Hi JoEditor ! I am in the same class with IvaParker and we have the same project i sow the video and his helpful but i would like one article about it because is more helful for me and IvaParker can you help us ????

IvaParker's picture
IvaParker 28 February, 2013 - 12:03

I have a project for Charles Dickens about his book David Copperfield i need all information about it ...Can you help me ???????

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 28 February, 2013 - 13:37

Hi IvaParker,
You can find some information about Charles Dickens on our LearnEnglish website. Check out this Literature is Great video. The first part is about Shakespeare, but go to minute 3:40 and you'll find out loads of interesting things about Charles Dickens. I hope this will help you get top marks in your project!
Let us know how the project goes.
Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

IvaParker's picture
IvaParker 26 February, 2013 - 19:53

HI I am new in this page and i have a project i would like to find information for popular people but i don't now how ...please can u help me ????

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 27 February, 2013 - 04:30

Hi IvaParker! I hope we can help with your project. Can you tell us more about what you have to write? What kind of person do you have to find out about?

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)