Magazine topic:
Entertainment

Time goes by so slowly

by :
KittyO

Don’t you love it when you have a bit of free time? After school or work, during the weekends, or even in your lunch break, it’s great to squeeze in a little time for yourself. In general, ‘free time’ is a luxury; it is ‘free’ time because it is time spent not working, studying, or running errands. Fundamentally, the beauty of free time is that you don’t have to do anything; you are at liberty to choose what you do. Do you relax in front of the television, unwind with a good book, or de-stress by cooking a nice meal? When I have free time, I love to go for a run, draw, or watch some of my favourite television series.

I have just had a whole month of free time at home with my parents. I finished working as a teaching assistant in France at the end of April, and I am just about to start a new job in a publishing agency in Paris. However, this month was not all that I thought that it would be. Before I came home, I had ideas about what I would do and where I would go during this month off. I had plans to get fit, do more art, read more, visit museums and art galleries. And guess what … NONE of it happened. I was lazy, I watched television all day and I ate way too much chocolate. I’ve discovered that when you have too much free time, it just turns into ‘time’, and trying to pass that time becomes increasingly boring. Apparently, it becomes much more difficult to motivate yourself to do interesting things when you don’t actually have anything to do in the first place. It’s a strange phenomenon, but I think it’s the same for most people. When you only have a little bit of free time, it becomes more precious, so you use it well, but when it’s all you have, you simply waste it.

It’s not how I planned for this month to go, but it has definitely made me excited to start work, and to start feeling productive again! I have a lot of things planned for when I am there, but if I don’t get to do them all it will be ok – because I will probably be too busy to fit it all in!

Do you have a lot of free time? How do you spend the free time you have?

Comments

Saionji's picture
Saionji 22 January, 2017 - 19:34

NO...OF COURSE NOT ! Our final exams are after one month , but we've got an unexpected 2-weeks holiday. You might think that was pretty cool , but this holiday just ruined every thing ! Now the teachers are " running " over the curriculum because they must finish it in one month !
And by the way, I want to ask you a question : When you've got TONNES of work to do , how do you organize your time?

hadia's picture
hadia 4 February, 2017 - 07:21

Cute Saonji ;)
Thanks for the reply.
Well, it's alright. As long as you are giving time to your studies. Wish you best of luck. I hope to see you soon.

Sorry420's picture
Sorry420 19 January, 2017 - 13:43

Yes, I have Free Time in my daily life.I have limited free time no lots of time to spend with free time. I have school 5 days And I need to do lots of school work on the evening time. When I am finish my school work I like to do some my free time activities.
I Like to wtaching television with my family and Playing with my little Sister. Sometime I like to listen music and Playing ps4 games. In the free time I like talk to my mother to much and like to help her in the kitchen
work. This is my Daily basics spend free time.

anime_lover's picture
anime_lover 4 October, 2015 - 14:58

I don't get much free time..i always need to study for my exams! but when i get my vacation, iplan thing and i never do any of what i have planned..maybe i do it but i never continue with it..:(((

Sa5m's picture
Sa5m 23 August, 2015 - 15:04

It's summer break so I have a lot of free time. I had planned to watch TV shows, to read, to spend some time with my friends and other things but I have all this free time. So my free time has turned to just "time".

cklj's picture
19481x
cklj 22 August, 2015 - 20:04

At the moment I have a lot of free time because in my country it's summer break. For this summer I was planning to get fit, read a lot, watch more movies and some TV shows as well and to spend more time with my friends. Surprisingly I've done everything from the list above: I eat healthier and I exercise so I've lost some weight, I have read 16 books so far, I have watch some of the best movies, I started and finished watching several shows and I'm hanging out with my friends every day. So, I'm glad I've accomplished and used my free time the way I wanted.

Alexander111's picture
Alexander111 18 August, 2015 - 03:37

ok, I got it. Times go slowly, when you are mostly busy, then, when you have a time to rest, you'll feel so luxury. But when you have so much free time, it turn to wasting time, it don't seem to be rest.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 12 August, 2015 - 14:06

Oh no!
Time goes by so quickly!
If I have a lot of time to spend, I want to do this and that ×2…….!!

Khvn's picture
Khvn 3 August, 2015 - 08:30

yes, i have just finished an important exam, and I graduated so i have a lot of free time, 2 months.
In time, I intend to work part time, to lern english and to travel, watch some my favorite films.
But now, I just recently studied English hard and I do not work part time, and travel I hope i will finish in in next time

agogoladze's picture
agogoladze 23 July, 2015 - 12:28

What I really can say is that I have free time.Too much free time.And I have no idea what to do with it.Reading books,walking,sleeping isn't enough to occupy my whole time.I need to find something productive to do before wasting whole summer vacation...

hadia's picture
hadia 15 June, 2015 - 15:52

No! not at all...........At least now-a-days i have got no free time...I am busy the whole day and having a very hectic routine! I get free at 7.00 in the evening, the whole day m having lectures in my college or in my academy! The rest of the time i usually try to spend with my family and talk with them about my experiences i have the whole day!!! I am jealous when i look at my younger cousins all holding their school bags with them and coming at 1.30 back home...........i wish i would be a little kid again having no troubles and just play and play but then i remember my goals and dreams for the life and i get determined again because i know to do something bigger in life we have to struggle heart! life is not a bed of roses and we have to face the obstacles as well..............I wish that this difficult time pass soon and I'll be doctor then!....Wohoo!!! What a feeling of satisfaction is there when I think about being a doctor, a successful and kind doctor....................... :D

Manaly's picture
Manaly 18 July, 2015 - 03:38

Try to enjoy even the struggle of your college life. Believe me when you graduate you will miss these days. So enjoy what you are in.. i wish you the best in the future.

hadia's picture
hadia 22 July, 2015 - 07:38

Hi Manaly!
Thanks for the comment.....Well yes! You're right that we should enjoy these days of struggle because whenever we are promoted to another class we really miss the charms of previous one...........so, yeah.....I try to enjoy it but as you would now that it takes time to adjust yourself into a specific class, it will take time for me to adjust myself in new class, in this hectic routine, in more hard work and studies but at the end of the day i'll surely love it!
Thanks again for the best wishes!
Stay Blessed :)))))

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 17 June, 2015 - 01:59

Hi hadia!
Way to go❗Make you dream happen and I'm rooting for you ⋈⋈❗
Me, either, I sometimes wish I would be a little kid again, but I'd prefer to be an adult because they can set the course for the ship in their life!
Whenever you face an arduous task, talk to me hadia and let's get it over!
……….…Wohoo!! What a nice friend I am!!! :-)))))

hadia's picture
hadia 17 June, 2015 - 15:29

Well, Elsa! Surely, your a very great friend of mine.......Your friendship is as pure as your are! Hmmm........well same thing from my side! I'll also be there for you if you faced any problem! If you have any...let me know! i'll sort it out for you\\ :))))))))))

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 17 June, 2015 - 22:48

Hi Hadia!! Wow...., your encourage makes me feel much better!! Thank you!! Well..., I won't be distressed by anything disgusting by myself... It's new to me, to be honest...
Okay, I'll try to take a new tack with you, Hadia, being on my honor to our ribbons!
;))))))))))

hadia's picture
hadia 19 June, 2015 - 12:46

Hi Elsa! I feel very lucky to have you as a friend thanks a lot...................................

Ken's picture
Ken 22 July, 2015 - 16:42

Wow.... Great to hear some heartwarming conversations here among lovely people!
\(⑅•̀.̫•)-(⑅•̀.̫•)-(⑅•̀.̫•)/

hadia's picture
hadia 23 July, 2015 - 11:04

Hi ken! I'm glad that you liked our ideas. Well, what is your thinking about this very this topic of TIME. :))))))))

Ken's picture
Ken 23 July, 2015 - 23:47

Hi Hadia, nice to meet you. You look bright! Well about TIME...., I remember saying that what every single one has equally is not money but time. It totally depends on how to use it now and that makes difference. Do you agree, Hadia? I always try to remember to encourage myself!
(๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

hadia's picture
hadia 25 July, 2015 - 14:03

hi Ken!.........Yes, it's true indeed! There's no doubt that everyone has been bestowed with same time and it is on us that how we utilize it! A very bright point you noted! Well, I usually read most of the user comments and those written by you are very good! I really appreciate your ideas........I think that you're very optimistic and this is a very good quality! God bless you!

iva10's picture
iva10 11 June, 2015 - 11:43

Hello I'm finally back. After a two or three months. Today was our last day of school and I'm a little sad because I wount see my friends,but next week there is a trip to Budva so maybe they will go to. Now I will have a lot of free time so I can play with my little brother.

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 9 June, 2015 - 17:32

Can I ask you one grammar question?-Why "Time goes By so slowly"?
I'm asking that because I would say just- Time goes so slowly. Is that one(more:-))english grammar rule?
Because I want to learn it.Thanks.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20504x
Tina - Coordinator 10 June, 2015 - 16:51

Hi NATALYY,
In the phrase 'Time goes by so slowly', "by" has the meaning of "past" (time goes past so slowly). So this gives a stronger sense that you personally feel the passing of time (compared with "time goes so slowly"). This is a common phrase in English and known for being in the lyrics of a popular song from 1955, by The Righteous Brothers, called Unchained Melody :)
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 19 June, 2015 - 23:59

Hello Tina, I have a little word......
My appologies, I sometimes happen to touch 'Report the comment' by mistake instead of touching 'Like' which is placed just below the 'Report' button, or just when I am careless ... I did it a few times... Please don't care!

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 8 June, 2015 - 20:51

It's june and I don't go to school,so I have free time,and It's very borring!
"How do you spend the free time you have?"-Well,LearnEnglishTeens,and site for learning Italian,but I'm planing to go on swiming,maybe aerobic or yoga...Everything except siting in front of TV!

Ken's picture
Ken 10 June, 2015 - 01:24

Alas, I wish I was in your shoes, Nataly! I haven't met Mr/Ms 'Boring' for ages....!! Though you're right, sitting in front of Telly sounds like an elder life!! Whenever I watch TV, I sit in front of it with almost absence of mind..... (^◇^)
Recently when I'm at home I enjoy music coming from big speakers through new amp I recently got. And of course I enjoy LearnEnglishTeens as well! I hope you will make the most your vacation, Natty! See you here somrtimes and let us share your activities/achivement! o(^_-)O

Jona's picture
Jona 6 June, 2015 - 21:56

Well, time to rest mostly means time off, time to take a break from all the things that make me feel tired. I don't a lot of it because of the school and stuffs related to it (which means tons of homework, exams,and projects). So I spend my free time relaxing while listening to music. But I also like to read and draw. And of course,TV and the internet...

Cookies_Story's picture
Cookies_Story 5 June, 2015 - 17:19

I am always running out of time when exams are coming and wasting time when I have long day-offs...
Then I regret and regret... How ashamed I am!
Now, I reduce the far plan and arrange them into small ones... It's much better!

KittyO's picture
KittyO 29 May, 2015 - 13:22

Thanks Elsa007! Yes, I think it is important to have a good balance of work and rest, especially during exam periods! A little bit of rest and relaxation can do no harm, but all in moderation ;)

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 28 May, 2015 - 09:38

Yes, it happens a lot! I always feel the gap between before and after exam or assignment! I've been so disappointed at my laziness that I come to think that I must give equal weight to 'the time for no plan' to rest! Ha ha, a good excuse! ツ I want to work when I grow up like you, KittyO!