Magazine topic:
Entertainment

My top 6 period dramas

by :
FrancesS

I am a huge period drama fan. Actually I would say that I am an addict! One of my favourite things to do is to settle on the sofa with a cup of tea and start watching a period drama. Many people know period dramas such as Downton Abbey and Pride and Prejudice but I would like to share some of my favourites that are less well known.

Lost in Austen (ITV, 2008)
A modern day woman called Amanda is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice. One day she meets Elizabeth Bennet in her bathroom. The two women switch places so Amanda travels back in time and meets all of the characters from her favourite novel. This series is so funny, if you loved Pride and Prejudice, you should definitely watch Lost in Austen!

Northanger Abbey (ITV, 2007)
ITV made an adaptation of Jane Austen’s least famous book. It is about a young girl called Catherine who loves reading gothic novels. She goes to the English city Bath and meets the charming Mr Tilney at a ball. Catherine is invited to Mr Tilney's family home, Northanger Abbey which is full of secrets ...

North and South (BBC, 2004)
Margaret is from the South of England and she moves to the North of England. She discovers that life is very different in the North. Margaret meets factory owner Mr Thornton and thinks that he is a cruel man. However, Mr Thornton quickly falls in love with her. This adaptation is particularly interesting as it examines different social classes as well as having an unusual love story.

Jane Eyre (BBC, 2006)
Based on the novel by Charlotte Brontë, this series is full of mystery. It is about a poor governess called Jane Eyre who goes to work at a grand house where she falls in love with the master, Mr Rochester. However, many strange things happen in the house which leads to a dramatic revelation.

Call the Midwife (BBC, 2012-present)
Call the Midwife is based on the memoirs of a midwife who worked in the poor East End of London during the 1950s. There are lots of happy and sad moments so have your tissues at the ready!

The Lost Prince (BBC, 2003)
The Lost Prince is based on a true story about Prince John. He was the son of George V and suffered from severe epilepsy.  The Royal Family tried to hide Prince John away from the public so little was known about him. This is a tragic story but it is fascinating to learn more about his life.

Have you seen any of these period dramas? Can you recommend any good TV series?

Comments

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 9 June, 2015 - 09:23

I don't like watching TV shows.All movies I have seen in my life were in the cinema.I know that this is not answer on your question,but I really don't like that.I'm reading Jane Austen this summer(if that could be reply,sorry...)

Silvermist's picture
19150x
Silvermist 19 April, 2015 - 16:07

Yep, I definitely have watched my favorite pride and prejudice. I also have watched Jane eyre. But I think unlike other period dramas, Jane eyre is a bit sombre and boring, because all imagery in it including the novel is dark.
I also have watched David copper field, Emma, sense and sensibility and mill on the floss.
I also would like to be thankful for FranceS for recommending Lost in Austen, and I m definitely eager to watch it.
TV dramas come in various realities, and period dramas are really interesting. But I would also like to recommend once upon a time to TV series watchers. Well, other than that tv series I haven't heard of good modern ones, so I think I'd rather stick to watching period dramas and a few other exceptions.

FrancesS's picture
FrancesS 24 April, 2015 - 12:46

Wow you have watched so many period dramas!  I haven't watched 'Once upon a time' but I have heard that it is good.

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 15 April, 2015 - 18:33

I've just learnt that genre of that filmss is period drama. I haven't watched any of them, but I have read shorter (adjusted for my knowledge of English) books of: Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. I have read Northanger Abbey in my own language. Well i have watched Pride and prejudice more than once, it's one of my favourite films.

I heard that Austenland is a good film:
A woman is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice (she has no life - se onli reads the book, she has no boyfriend and is waithing for Mr. Darcy). Than she travels to a Jane Austen theme park in search for her perfect gentleman. And ....... no spoilers, watch it! I'll watch it too ;)

Oh, and I recommend you TV series Keeping Up Appearances - it's actually a comedy.
A snobbish housewife thinks about herself as well mannered person from upper class and she is bossy, so everyone is ˝afraid˝ of her. It's all happening in 20. century in Britain. And the English is quite understandable.

FrancesS's picture
FrancesS 24 April, 2015 - 12:43

That's great that you have already read some of Jane Austen's books! I also like Austenland. I thought it was quite funny. I haven't seen Keeping Up Appearances so thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely watch it soon.

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 26 April, 2015 - 10:51

What about you? Have you already read any of Jane Austen's books? :)
And you're welcome! Hope you like Keeping Up Appearances.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 16 April, 2015 - 05:58

Hi HannaMarin. Thanks for the recommendation! I've heard of Austenland and I'll definitely try to watch it. If anyone's seen it, please post a short review. And how did you come across the TV series Keeping Up Appearances? Was it on TV in your country? It was quite popular in the UK and, yes, the main character was definitely a bit of a snob.
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 21 April, 2015 - 15:22

Yes it was on our TV ( I think that it's still ). It's definitely quite popular here too - some of my classmates also watch it.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 16 April, 2015 - 10:12

I saw Keeping Up Appearances on the Web, she's funny ha-ha! I like to see UK period dramas which are played by good actors and actresses in beautiful scenes. They are nothing but Darcy, Darcy, Darcy and class, though! :-)

hadia's picture
hadia 14 April, 2015 - 16:19

Well! I've not watched any of them but I heard that they are very nice. I watch dramas but they are Pakistani dramas and are in Urdu language. I love watching them because they are mostly based on our societys' issues and they reflect our culture and traditions. By watching such dramas we can try to omit those evils from our society which are growing day by day. I like watching most of them!

FrancesS's picture
FrancesS 24 April, 2015 - 12:41

That sounds interesting. What type of issues do the Pakistani TV programmes talk about?