Look at the essay and do the exercises to improve your writing skills.

What are your views on reality TV? Are these types of shows popular in your country?

If you want to know more about reality TV in the UK, check out this article.

Comments

yeseniazr's picture
yeseniazr 27 May, 2020 - 00:25

Reality shows are very popular in my country. There are different types of reality shows, like singing and cooking competitions, documentaries, lifestyle where they do house renovations, etc.
Firstly I like reality shows a lot, I watch them on netflix. Cooking competitions are my favorite ones. There is a reality show that is called ‘Sugar Rush’ where different couple teams make cakes, cupcakes and desserts against time. And the winner couple gets 10,000 dollars. Also, I like to watch “Cuarto Elemento” It’s a competition where they do a lot of extreme challenges like eat insects and get in a box full of snakes.
I would like to be in a cooking competition, because I like baking and cake decoration a lot. An advantage would be that I would earn money and I probably get famous. A disavantage would be that if I lose, I would get embarrased.

Miguelsec45's picture
Miguelsec45 18 May, 2020 - 19:24

know new things and talented people. They sometimes helps to boost my mood. Reality TV shows are now growing in my country. I like reality shows mainly of cars,fashion, cooking and dare games! That's it

up0

rain_ran_r's picture
rain_ran_r 29 April, 2020 - 03:11

Now, because of the virous, we all stay at home and have online classes, comparing the online classes with school classes, I think school is a better place you can learn knowledge and urge each other to learn. You will meet many kinds of people and make friends in school. And also, it will help us manage our time wisely.

Firstly, I think the school is full of knowledge. Teachers in school teach us useful method which will help us solve questions. They will assign works to help us understand the lessons they teach us better. At the same time, teacher supervises us finish the works on time and answer questions we have in the lesson. Also, students can focus their attention better.

On the other hand, in the US, we have people from everywhere, Asia, Europe, and Africa. In making friend with them, we could know better with each other by sharing our cultures, religion beliefs, foods, etc. We can learn a lot from sharing and also, we can learn new things.

School help us managing our time. They have exact timeline for school day, what time student have first class, second class...to when students leave school. It helps us combine exertion and rest, let us have a sense of time, so we could manage our time perfectly in future.

To sum up, I think school is a better place to study, there are lots we could learn and help each other.

grinch's picture
grinch 28 April, 2020 - 07:18

I think this essay fully shows my opinion about reality shows. I agree with everything that is said in it. Sometimes I like to reality shows because it can be very interesting and funny.

katya_12's picture
katya_12 27 April, 2020 - 09:37

As for me, reality TV is quite entertaining. It's a great way to relax or forget about your troubls . It also can be really educational. If you watch cooking, travelling programmes, you can get to know a lot of new things about the world. These kinds of TV shows are extremely popular in my country, especially singing competitions and talent shows.

Oxyr1s's picture
Oxyr1s 27 April, 2020 - 06:25

As for my opinion, reality TV is very strange and I can never understand it. In my country reality shows are not very popular, but there are a lot of types of them.

Goldenman765's picture
Goldenman765 27 April, 2020 - 01:55

Nowadays, it is very popular to watch TV. Sometimes, it is very interesting and funny, but sometimes it is very boring. I like watching TV.
First of all, the TV raises the mood and can be useful, for example, when watching documentaries or films about animals, etc. In my country, it is very to watch news on the first channel and the health program.
On the other hand, scary movies can be shown on TV and this may not suit everyone.
In conclusion, I want to say that despite the disadvantages of watching TV, you can learn a lot of new things when you watch it.

peachygirl's picture
peachygirl 6 April, 2020 - 10:42

Many people like to watch TV shows. Sometimes it is very interesting and funny, but also it can be boring and bad. My family like shows about cooking, adventures and sports programs.
First of all, I think that TV shows it is cool because they make people fun and people can spend their free time. Also TV shows can be informative, for example: shows about natural world, science and many others things.
On the other hand, TV shows can be bad and not interesting. For example, there are a lot of same shows, and it is not interesting. Also there are a lot of bad shows, where people can make strange things.
To sum up, I think that TV shows can be as good and bad. It is up to their content. Watch TV shows what you like and be happy!

dikle's picture
dikle 26 February, 2020 - 17:54

In my country Reality TV shows aren't popular.Firstly, Reality TV show is very hard for people who take a part in it. In addition, some of them is dangerous, you may hurt yourself.On the other hand, performer can win prize.One of advantages of Reality shows is a viewer will be interested in it. To sum up, Reality TV show is fun to watch.

Elife's picture
Elife 2 February, 2020 - 22:01

I don't usually watch reality TV, but I watch when I'm bored. In my country, the reality TV shows are popular.

lancer's picture
lancer 20 November, 2019 - 20:23

Money

I am writing about money.
Doese the people live for making money or earn money for living?

Firstly, money is necessary for our life. Yep, It's right. Without money, we can't buy anything, can't go to place where we want, because we don't have the ticket to there. In addition, we can't eat. Also we can't work study. so we can never do all...

On the other hands, It's said that money should be thought of as a stone. Money is a bad thing that currupts human. There are some people around which can do anything including crime.

To sum up briefly, We need money but money isn't everything.

Thu's picture
-1x
Thu 1 July, 2019 - 06:53

In my views, reality TV shows are fun to watch.. Especially among teenagers like me. In my country, they like to watch a show that can entertain them and inspire them. For me, I love to watch a show called Running Man.

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 16 January, 2019 - 12:59

I like reality TV show . I watch "X Factor" on Youtube because TV company doesn't broadcast reality TV show. reality TV show was gone in 90's.However I love reality TV show .X Factor find new talented people , such as singer ,dancer ,performer .

Firstly I think X Factor make drama that people excited develop new talent . We want to see new talented performer . In addition reality TV program teach us effort is best way to get success and it need everything . Another advantage is that people who watching TV come up with some new idea from TV.

On the other hand ,we used to reality TV shows. witch mean people thing it is boring .TV program is same routing every time . However , performer makes difference and give us new idea . Another disadvantage is that , performer is always attend TV but some performer is not fun .

to sum up I think reality TV is good TV program. I'd like to watch original reality TV show .

Batgirl's picture
Batgirl 2 April, 2018 - 19:24

I don't usually watch reality TV, but I think it's good to watch when you're bored. However, I don't like reality shows because some of them are foolish and they don't give you nice example.

KirGil's picture
KirGil 15 February, 2018 - 12:53

Hello! My favourite reality show is "Heads and Tails". Every weekend, the two presenters go to different cities in the world. According to the rules of program one of them has to live two days with only 100$, while the second has unlimited amount of money, which located on the golden card. Every time to decide who will live like a millionaire and who will learn to survive, they toss coin. This show is about different countries in the world and shows two different ways of life. Every episode the presenter with $100 tells how to save money and at the same time to have fun, and the rich one hides $100 somewhere in the city, which is visited, at the bottle for our tourists. Also, it is the most popular show in my country.

Eman_'s picture
Eman_ 14 August, 2017 - 15:36

In my opinion, reality shows are good to learn from other people's experiences and to expand our knowledge.
Reality shows that released in my country aren't so popular. Most of them are for cooking. There was a talents show but it was canceled and replaced by a singing contest.
The most popular Tv shows in my country are the shows that include many countries, such as The voice. As well as foreign Tv shows.

MariaMartins's picture
MariaMartins 5 July, 2017 - 04:08

Hi everyone, I have a big doubt so I hope you can help me. I'm a B1 level student and in my exams I have to make an opinion or an argumentative text with 150-220 words, like the one in here. My question is: can I use expressions like «I think» or «In my opinion» or «From my point of view» in the begginning of the second paragraph (just like this text) in an argumentative text? I thought I just could use expressions like that on opinion text. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 5 July, 2017 - 15:22

Hi MariaMartins! Good question. There are different ways to organise an argumentative essay, so make sure you understand the question fully and check with your teacher if you're not sure what is expected. (An opinion essay is different because you need to argue the same opinion all the way through, giving a series of points that support your opinion.) In an argumentative essay, you need to present both sides of the argument. This type of essay is sometimes called 'For and against' or 'Pros and cons'. It's a good idea to give both sides of the argument BEFORE you give your opinion at the end, so it's better to avoid expressions like 'In my opinion' or 'From my point of view' until the last paragraph. The model text on this page should help you with this type of writing. Good luck and happy writing! Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

SLMT's picture
SLMT 1 June, 2017 - 18:17

I love reality TV shows bcoz it can make u happy .There're different kinds of reality shows such as singing,dancing,cooking competitions,talent shows,travelling pragrams,living in the jungle,family shows.Reality shows are very popular in my country too.But foreign country reality TV shows are more popular than my country's .Especially korean variety shows are pretty popular in Myanmar."Rumming Man" is the most watching TV show in my country. I always watch it whenever I feel down & I want to get away from my stress.I also love "Return of Superman",a program about father has to take care of his children alone for 48 hours without getting any help. The other ones I love is "Friends over flower".It's a travel reality show.A group of friends has to travel abroad with only backpack. They are celebraties and they aren't told about this trip. Only their manager know about the show and the producer of this show suprise them and take them directly to the airport.I am interested in traveling around the world. That's why I love this show very much.I can learn a lot from this show.It's very glad to watch beautiful places whereI have never been. I also like Master Chief US,America's Next Top Model,The Voice & Battel Trip.

BRPSanchezAnderson's picture
BRPSanchezAnderson 17 April, 2017 - 23:00

i think reality shows arent god for view beacuse sometimes the participants arent smart, geerally they are only strongs or resistant

BRPAriasJuan's picture
BRPAriasJuan 16 April, 2017 - 07:32

I've only seen "Yo me llamo" and if it is well known in my country, it is about imitators of singers and the one who sings like the original one wins

amarti's picture
amarti 15 November, 2016 - 16:58

My favourite reality TV is the Big Brother, but there are more interesting realities, like "survivors" or "La voz".

Fado23fado's picture
Fado23fado 25 May, 2016 - 17:37

There are some kinds of reality TV shows that different each other. Most of people like to watch reality Tv shows. While They watch it they have nice time each other.

piku99's picture
piku99 25 April, 2016 - 15:44

In my opinion the reality shows are very challenger program who are the participate in show. There are lots kinds of reality program like a singer, dance, chef, and mind quiz etc. It is very helpful watching people getting development real life skill. I really like this kind of program. In my favourite show Britain got talent.

rithika's picture
rithika 9 April, 2016 - 17:29

Some of the answers I submitted for the 3rd exercise -linking words were marked wrong even while they were right.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 10 April, 2016 - 08:09

Hi rithika. Thanks for your comment. Could you let us know which questions, and what your answers were? For this exercise, even a small mistake in spelling or punctuation will be counted as incorrect.
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)