Magazine topic:
Life around the world

Lessons learned from living abroad

by :
ElsaBlogger2017

Here are the top ten things I've learned from living in Germany and Austria this year.

1. Taking a chance will be the best thing you've ever done! I was feeling unsure about moving from Cologne (where I was in my first semester) to Vienna (where I spent my second semester) as I thought it can't get any better – but really it did.

2. The weather in England is a joke! I didn't realise how bad it was until I now have this incredible European weather to compare it to.

3. The more you do, the easier it becomes! At first I found listening to or speaking German all the time exhausting, but the more I did, the less tired I became.

4. You appreciate your home cuisine so much. The phrase, 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone', is so true. I found myself dreaming about classic English foods like Marmite, Yorkshire puddings and Cadbury's chocolate.

5. Finally hearing your native language sounds magical. Even hearing the self-checkout voice in English at the supermarket made me feel nostalgic. Never did I think 'unexpected item in the bagging area' would bring me any other emotion than annoyance!

6. Keeping up with both languages is difficult. I found myself forgetting English words. Bilingual? More like byelingual.

7. We're all the same. I've met people from all around the world and I've learned that regardless of gender or nationality, we all have kindness within us.

8. And yet we all have our quirks and traditions but we can share them with each other and spread the happiness and joy.

9. Language learning is hard. There's so much vocabulary and then comes slang and then comes dialect and add accent on top of that. But it's so worth it. It's the most satisfying feeling to understand and participate in a conversation.

10. Thanks to technology we can create a home from home. I can FaceTime my family and have them 'with me' on my adventures. My year abroad has been an amazing journey and it's taught me so much, not only about other cultures but also about myself. I would thoroughly recommend spending time abroad. I've only just touched on the advantages as they are endless! So do it, take that leap of faith into the unknown and start your own enriching and empowering experience.

Topics:

Would you like to live abroad?

Comments

agentek2002's picture
agentek2002 30 July, 2019 - 18:19

I think that travel abroad is a great opportunity, because you can learn so much about culture and languages, you can meet other people and be more independent, have new experiences. It can be hard because you are going to be away from your family and you will be alone. We would like to travel to spain, because is an interesting country and our careers have a good specialization in this country.

Sachi1403's picture
Sachi1403 30 July, 2019 - 18:12

Yes, because i love to travel but also i would like to learn about other cultures, but i will miss my family

vmo25's picture
vmo25 30 July, 2019 - 16:32

M Isabel L
i would like to go abroad because i want to have that experience for my career and also i want to learn another language like english, it is good for grow in another way. i want to do to usa it is like a dream

ASABS's picture
ASABS 30 July, 2019 - 16:28

yes, i want tyo go abroad and study in Edimburgo for a time, it is going to be a big opportunity, is going to be a way to see with other perspective the world

vmo25's picture
vmo25 30 July, 2019 - 16:27

This is one of the best experiences told by people who have had the opportunity to make this trip. I would like to make this exchange to meet people and have new experiences, know the language, know places and be happy

by a martinez 11B

FelipeOrtiz10's picture
FelipeOrtiz10 30 July, 2019 - 16:26

i think that it is important to know tips from people who has the experience, because they are based on what they had live

Karolg's picture
Karolg 30 July, 2019 - 16:23

i think that study abroad is the best thing that my parents can give me, but unfortunately they can´t do it...i have projects in mind to the near future, consist to went a magic country that is Australia specifically in Brisbane, to study english since 6 months more or less; the tips that previous i read es so interesting because send you a message, the opportunity that have the technology to connect with nuclear family or frineds that no are nearby to you, leavce in a new country are difficult taking to account that are different culture, food, people and the relationships, but is im´portnat to do that because is your future and all those offering can they can be seen in a profession thriving in the future.

jay1601's picture
jay1601 30 July, 2019 - 16:23

offcourse, actually im gonna live abroad the next year, my dream is to go to london for study and for make a new life, but that is a hard decison because you have to leave your country, you have to leave the people who love you, all your things that you are used to have or the things that you used to do all the time, it will change, but its a new life of opportunities and for make more things that you couldt do in your country

ElSierrab's picture
ElSierrab 30 July, 2019 - 16:22

I think that it's too possible because in other places I could have better opportunities than in Colombia. I can have better projections on my career, more opportunities to get a job and to earn more money. Also, is nice to meet another culture, people, traditions, etc of another place to learn more about other kinds of perspective about living the life

MRV1's picture
MRV1 30 July, 2019 - 16:22

Answering the question i would like to travel abroad to improve my English and maybe after this i would return to my country to finish my studies , i would like to study in England and to know a little more about this culture and to have new experiences .
It seems to me that when traveling abroad one has the possibility of having more freedom, of having more maturity and learning to use time and money in the best way, to end up being able to travel abroad is one of the best experiences that you can achieve in life.

dani13's picture
dani13 30 July, 2019 - 16:21

I believe, living in a new country will always give a new seen of view, of life, and it also is a little scary, for that reason, is good to see opinion of peolpe who have had the expererience of live abroado to have a small taste of it.

diegosan16's picture
diegosan16 30 July, 2019 - 16:21

From my personal point of view, student exchange trips are a great opportunity to learn more history and get a better job, achieve good studies and improve your living condition. To be able to make this trip you need several skills such as the language spoken in that country.Life projects are more interesting and you can look for solutions to improve the life conditions of this country.

vmo25's picture
vmo25 30 July, 2019 - 16:20

I think it is a unique experience since you grow as a person, you learn to value the things you have and you learn from other cultures.
To start with an experience of this you must have looked a lot about the place where you are going and where you are going to stay.
valentina m 11b

CADF's picture
CADF 30 July, 2019 - 16:20

I want to study abroad for 6 months, just English and in Canada, but then when I complete 3 years of my career choose a specialization and go to Germany and study there. In my case I don´t want to live aborad for a long time , I really feel happy with my country and it´s culture. It´s a good experience for inmersing in a new culture and all of it but for a short time.

Gugosito's picture
Gugosito 30 July, 2019 - 16:19

One of my biggest dreams and plans for my future life is studing abroad, specificly in Spain, because i think that here in my country we got a lack in progress and i want to suceed in a career that is not well paid and taken in account in here. I think that all the times i get the chance to travel or studying abroad, i will take it.

vmo25's picture
vmo25 30 July, 2019 - 16:19

imblue's picture
imblue 30 July, 2019 - 16:18

I think, that the most important thing that anyone must have if that person is going to study abroad is the patience, if someone doesn´t have patience to learn the idiom, to have the patience to get used to the weather, the patience to solve the problems by him self and the patience to engage in the society. The best thing that someone can do is study abroad and having new experiences.

r12345na's picture
r12345na 30 July, 2019 - 16:18

My dream is to study abroad. More specific in Germany, as i want to study medicine, it is really expensive to pay a Colombian college. That´s the main reason why i rather to study abroad. I love germany. the first time i was there, i was 8 years old, even if I cant remember too well all the places, i will never forget how big and clean it was. I really want to go there to become a surgeon.

Pau_09's picture
Pau_09 30 July, 2019 - 16:18

Yes, i think that is a very pleasant experience, meet new people with different culture, interests, etc ; Also that you can improve your language level, learn to be truly independent because you must have to be organized with your things, your time, etc.
With the opportunity of study abroad, we can see the differents perspectives about the jobs, see the differents "Doors" of our future.

shakercross6524's picture
shakercross6524 30 July, 2019 - 16:18

I have always dreamed with living abroad while studying. However I haven't been keen on the idea of researching and getting to know better the place where I wanted to go to. Because of that I find this blog interesting, because the way you talk about your experiences is way simpler than I thought living abroad would be. That's why I think you have given me way more than you thought yo were giving to others.

sacj123's picture
sacj123 30 July, 2019 - 16:18

i would like to travel around all the world, studing abroad and even have lots of friend from each country, but at some point i would finally return to my native city. Principally i want to visit New Zeland, Aunstralia, germany and alaska. i want to learn about their history, culture, society, to know about everyting of these countries

ASABS's picture
ASABS 30 July, 2019 - 16:16

I think that living and studying abroad is a great idea for us, I want to go to Edimburgo , to study some time there, is a fantastic opportunity to learn new things like the culture, the food and changing my perspective of the world.

Luisa_Maria's picture
Luisa_Maria 30 July, 2019 - 16:16

I think it is very interesting to study abroad , although the one that might scare me the most would be to start forgetting my language, so I think I could try to practice as much as I can to not forget anything, for that reason I would look for a person to practice

lars1224's picture
lars1224 30 July, 2019 - 16:13

I would like to study in another country but in the middle of my career. not only to learn another language, but also to continue studying what I like but that would only be for a maximum of one year, also y would like to go to Spain or to Canada
Paula L 11B

luisitacomunica's picture
luisitacomunica 30 July, 2019 - 16:13

I think that studying abroad in Colombia almost is a very exclusive thing, that not everyone has the oportunity to. For me since I was a child my dream has been to study in Canada, more specific in the University of Toronto. At the beginning of the year while I was searching for the requirements I discovered that I have to study almost one year here (obviusly IELTS too). So I will work hard for achieving my goal.

jdmp's picture
jdmp 30 July, 2019 - 16:13

I would like to study abroad, specially in France or Switzerland. Now, I have the opportunity to study in Russia, and I am thinking it a lot. I think that then, I will come back to Colombia for at least 5 years. I defend that, if I borned here, I have to do something to improve the colombian society. Then, I would like to travel a lot and meet new cultures, to learn more about the world and apply that learnings in Colombia.
Juan D M 11B

Seoul's picture
Seoul 30 July, 2019 - 16:10

Being abroad represemts a challenge to everyone, not only because of the money but because the distance, the cultura and the esperiences. Some of us are to dependent of family and friends and being far of them could fright them. Anyway its sounds like and exciting experience, were you can improve your social skills. Ive heard youll miss things like food, music, ways of speaking, but human as a curios and social being would be a great adventure, with maybe a the beginning a lot of misunderstandings and finally taking advantage and learning.

P34KS's picture
P34KS 30 July, 2019 - 16:10

I am actually about going to study abroad, my end goal would be to apply to MIT, CalTech and other universities in the US while trying to perfect my English and German. I would also like to live sometime alone to start developing more my autonomy. Im looking forward to the time when I can live on my own and experience a lot of stuff i haven't experienced yet.

panda02's picture
panda02 30 July, 2019 - 16:09

I would like to study abroad, probably when I´m finishing my studys I´. going to go to Europe and do a master or something like that, but during my studys I´m going to stay here, also If I would like to study abroad, it can be expensive, and my family probably can not cover all the cost.
By the moment I already planned to go next year to Canada to study english for 6 months.

Emilycage2002's picture
Emilycage2002 30 July, 2019 - 16:09

Yes, I would like to live abroad, I would like to have a new view of the world, how are different cultures, like try to be part of a new and totally different culture. Also the opportunities I could have of work, study, new lenguages or a new lifestyle based on new things I learn or the place where I want to live, with new experiences and new friends.

mclara1591's picture
mclara1591 30 July, 2019 - 16:09

if i would like it enough, since i would have new experiences, but when i am already working and i have many more opportunities for work abroad, because in part it would be a totally different culture to the one that normally lived

sgc2710's picture
sgc2710 30 July, 2019 - 03:02

if I would like to and you think it's easy but you have to take many aspects into account. you can't get there without knowing anything about language, culture, you have to take into account many costs, see the field of work or study in such a case. but if it would be a nice experience, because you can learn many things and get out of the daily context.

BarbieG's picture
BarbieG 26 July, 2019 - 16:16

Yes¡ Sinces i was a child i've thought about living and study abroad,not only because the opportunities also the different cultures that you can found and how you can develop your self.so finding this articule i´ve received many tips and interesting request that i used to ignore.

jasv1805's picture
jasv1805 26 July, 2019 - 16:12

Of course I would live abroad and it is for many reasons, the first is because it would be to know a new culture and a very different way of living life. The second reason is because I would like to learn a new language and be able to interact with people from other countries, and the last reason would be for the experience of living alone and being more responsible, and for knowing how to work on various things etc.

japa2134's picture
japa2134 26 July, 2019 - 16:04

yes, i would like to live abroad, but not rigth now, i would like to live abroad when i am aproxximately 27 years old, why? for a simply reason, u want to be mature and to be really sure of the decitions i would like to take in my life, i think a teen or pre teen should not be alone in another country, hr would take crazy decitions and descontrolate.
Jairo 11E

meowmeow's picture
meowmeow 26 July, 2019 - 16:03

I'd really love to study abroad, it will make me to grow up as a person and to know new things in life, new cultures and new people, it's a good way to change the enviroment and to try to be a new brand person, that it's really exiting!I'm planning to stay 6 months in Canada, so i can learn french and practice all i've been learning of english, so it will help me to have a new idiom and to live new experiences

Ovan_de_beek06's picture
Ovan_de_beek06 26 July, 2019 - 14:08

About living abroad, I consider it as a good opportunity to try out yourself in a another country. Sometimes looking other projects and leaving the comfort zone in which you are is recommendable. It will help you for growing as a professional and as a person. You would face a new cultura that will allow yourself to see the world with a different perspective.

carito33's picture
carito33 26 July, 2019 - 14:07

I would love to live abroad, and I think is something we all should experience at least once, it's obviously difficult for a while but when you get used to living in that country it will be a great experience for personal growth and learning from another cultures. Personally it's one of my biggest goals and desires to living abroad, I wish to have independence and a lot of new learnings

ct001's picture
ct001 26 July, 2019 - 14:06

frankly speaking, i really love Colombia so i want to live here but if i have an opportunity to study,, work or spend time in another country that would be terrific.
moreover, i really like to travel around the world but i consider that my home its colombia there isn´t any place with the same happynes, culture, food etc
(i cant deny that if i had the opportunity to live in a nother contry for a brief period i will do it because not only it is and amazing experience in which i could learn a lot, but also the world its very big to saty at home wasting your live ITS NECESSARY TO LIFE( DO THE MOST) BECAUSE WE ONLY HAVE ONE OPPORTUNITYTO DO EVERYTHING WE WANT IN OUR LIVES )

danirod's picture
danirod 26 July, 2019 - 14:01

FOR ME IF IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO STUDY OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY BECAUSE I CAN BECOME MORE INDEPENDENT AND I HAVE BETTER STUDY OPPORTUNITIES, HOWEVER, I THINK THAT FOR THIS TO BE POSSIBLE IT IS IMPORTANT TO WORK HARD TO GET A GOOD RESULT AND KNOW THAT THIS WILL HELP YOU A LOT IN YOUR FUTURE LIFE AS YOU CAN KNOW NEW CULTURES, NEW LANGUAGES AND GET EXPERIENCES THAT WILL SERVE YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. DANIELA 11D

PeterJackson's picture
PeterJackson 26 July, 2019 - 14:00

Yes, I would like to live abroad. They are so many thinks that i want to learn, the great experiences that i will have, the exotic food that i will taste. Adding that i wll learn how to live alone and that i will take my own decisions. Make friends from other countries is another great opportunity that I'm not going to waste.

yoxmarajeans's picture
yoxmarajeans 26 July, 2019 - 14:00

yes,i would like to live abroad,there are too many things that i want to learn , new greater experiences that i will learn new things and also i can make new friends of other countries and i will spend time in different activities

Upegui's picture
Upegui 26 July, 2019 - 13:59

I think that living abroad is a great experience that we should all live in this type of experience, we know new cultures, we learn new things, we learn to be more independent and we will stay in oneself, we also face real life. I think the best thing about this experience is that you meet new people who teach you new things that will be very useful for training as a social person.

Robayo27's picture
Robayo27 26 July, 2019 - 13:58

I really want to study abroad for studying medicine. But is the most expensive career around the world so it's a little bit difficult to study abroad. If I have the opportunitie I would study in United States because there is one of the best cardiology hospitals around the world, that is Mount Sinai that is located in Manhattan, so it's really beautiful and has the best tecnhology for medicine, but of course it's really expensive.

DC11's picture
DC11 26 July, 2019 - 13:58

yes, i want to live abroad because is a great form to know a new lenguage, a new culture and about the things that happen around the world.

NG19's picture
NG19 26 July, 2019 - 13:58

yes,i think its a great opportunity to learn about the culture of many places in addition to the languages ,as wells a way to achieve the things by our own account .also the experience that we acquired to be living away from our parents and the optin we have working after studied in another country are incredible

AMMC's picture
AMMC 26 July, 2019 - 13:57

Yes I would like to live abroad, because it gives us a lot of opportunities, and I want to know new cultures and practice more languages; it gives us the chance to meet new people too and it is very cool. because it could be that someone can help you to have a good job or too meet people related to your career. And living abroad teaches you how to be independent and it gives you different ways to see what´s going on around the world.

Nicole2002's picture
Nicole2002 26 July, 2019 - 13:57

Of course I would like to live outside the country, it shows that is an unforgettable experience, you meet people from different countries of the world who teach you some things about their countries and will be with you so you do not feel alone.
There will be better work possibilities ana a very good quality of life. Thanks to technology you can talk with your family all the time and you wont miss it

riverap24's picture
riverap24 26 July, 2019 - 13:56

I have always think that travelling is an important experience to do in your life. This because by the exchanges of cultures, you can get a lot of new perpectives of life. The opportunity of living abroad is that in one country you can find the full exprience and culture of that country. And from the others students that are making the same process, you can learn from their countries too. I also think you have to make the things really organized to get a great and without problem process. You also should have a strong personality to reach the process without emotionals breakdowns.

piza0103's picture
piza0103 26 July, 2019 - 13:55

Yes, because I have always wanted to learn more from a different culture than mine and interact with it. Mainly to learn a second language and to be able to carry out after this a study either as a specialization or second career. The country that most attracts my attention to conduct a study abroad is the United States, because in this I can better develop an engineering and learn more about it. In terms of adaptation, it can be difficult but in a matter of time it can be easier and more pleasant