You know all those people that told you that video games are bad for you? They were wrong. Read this to find out more.

Reading

Video games are good for you!

For years video games have been criticised for making people more antisocial, overweight or depressed. But now researchers are finding that games can actually change us for the better and improve both our body and mind.

Games can help to develop physical skills. Pre-school children who played interactive games such as the ones available on Wii have been shown to have improved motor skills, for example they can kick, catch and throw a ball better than children who don’t play video games. A study of surgeons who do microsurgery in Boston found that those who played video games were 27 per cent faster and made 37 per cent fewer errors than those who didn't. Vision is also improved, particularly telling the difference between shades of grey. This is useful for driving at night, piloting a plane or reading X-rays.

Games also benefit a variety of brain functions, including decision-making. People who play action-based games make decisions 25 per cent faster than others and are no less accurate, according to one study. It was also found that the best gamers can make choices and act on them up to six times a second, four times faster than most people. In another study by researchers from the University of Rochester in New York, experienced gamers were shown to be able to pay attention to more than six things at once without getting confused, compared with the four that most people can normally keep in mind. Additionally, video games can also reduce gender differences. Scientists have found that women who play games are better able to mentally manipulate 3D objects.

There is also evidence that gaming can help with psychological problems. At the University of Auckland in New Zealand, researchers asked 94 young people diagnosed with depression to play a 3D fantasy game called SPARX and in many cases, the game reduced symptoms of depression more than conventional treatment. Another research team at Oxford University found that playing Tetris shortly after exposure to something very upsetting – in the experiment, a film of traumatic scenes of injury and death was used – can actually prevent people having disturbing flashbacks.

The effects are not always so positive, however. Indiana University researchers carried out brain scans on young men and found evidence that violent games can alter brain function after as little as a week of play, affecting regions in the brain associated with emotional control and causing more aggressive behaviour in the player. But Daphne Bavelier, one of the most experienced researchers in the field, says that the violent action games that often worry parents most may actually have the strongest beneficial effect on the brain. In the future, we may see many treatments for physical and neurological problems which incorporate the playing of video games.

What kind of computer games do you like? Do you think they are good for you? Why or why not?

Comments

linhdan83's picture
linhdan83 24 June, 2020 - 16:18

For me, I’m into mobile games which require solving puzzles, escaping or forming allies and strategy such as Gardenscapes, Escaping rooms and League of Legends. I think they are pretty good and fascinating as long you know how to balance them in your normal life. They may help you with many aspects such as creativity, problems solving, quickly thinking, etc.

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 9 April, 2020 - 08:56

Er... I like enjoying some online games on mobile. I want to play computer games which my uncle do, but most of them is availiable only upper-19, such as G.T.A, WITCHER WILD HUNT, or WORLD OF ZOMBIE. So I play only mobile games, like Brawl stars and Will hero. I used to enjoy playing Minecrafts but I don't think all of them are not helping me to improve some...something what I 'm not good at. Anyway, I don't play computer games and I won't either. Ah! I will play these games: Fifa Soccer Worldcup, Car Racing games.

josmel123's picture
josmel123 27 August, 2019 - 14:25

My favorite game online is dota2, this game is very funny because the gameplay is varied, i believe playing this game i improve my capacity of reaction and velocity of take decicion

Dominga_123's picture
Dominga_123 27 August, 2019 - 01:21

I do not like any online game because I prefer to play physical games, I also think that online games increase sedentary lifestyle and other factors that harm our health.

Ales144's picture
Ales144 27 August, 2019 - 14:39

Respect how you said, I think that the videogames have good things too, how to improve your reflexes and memory, it depends on the game that you played, and nowadays some games include the Virtual Reality so this technology lends you move when you play. And I think that is funnier, I recommend you! :D

khwaja's picture
khwaja 15 June, 2019 - 22:50

I would prefer playing strategy games as I think it has some benefits. One critical advantage is it enhances thinking and planning skills. For example, when I play such these games, I need to make important decisions and choose appropriate elements in order to win the game. So, this has helped me to be more aware when I take any step in my life.

parsasoroori's picture
parsasoroori 28 January, 2019 - 16:42

well there is a beautiful old game. Elder people know it better and I've recently play it. Its name is Mafia1 and I'm sure there couldn't be anything better. Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA are my bests too.

dantex103's picture
dantex103 31 August, 2018 - 00:30

undertale is my favorite game, because it takes my out of my problems, and the music, it makes me take a irreplaceable smile, and the history, it ALWAYS makes me regret for doing the genocide run :v

CherryBlossomEnglish's picture
CherryBlossomEnglish 28 February, 2018 - 16:39

I play Dream House Days and The Ramen Sensei (by Kairosoft). They are very addictive. By the way, I played many games, such as: Minecraft, Clash Royale, Rolling Sky...and maaaaaanyyy more. I prefer strategy games more than action games.

MyStudyCoachJonas's picture
MyStudyCoachJonas 24 October, 2017 - 00:16

I think that games are good for some people.
Children can't play all games all the time.
I bought my first console at 10 years.

QueenPinkBluebel's picture
QueenPinkBluebel 3 August, 2017 - 14:03

I like playing online games because there are more competition when there are many people. I also like playing Wii games because they are really original. I think that video games can be funny and can develop several skills such as the attention and the reflex, but they can also be very dangerous for the health and can affect the eyesight but only if you stay for hours in front of a screen, especially if it's a small one.

Vicking's picture
Vicking 11 May, 2017 - 11:23

I play so much games. every day i play games.
On our holiday with my family we were going to ride a quad. I DID IT PERFECTLY!!1!!!!!11!! So i sad that's because i play racing games every day.

justinrhodes's picture
justinrhodes 26 April, 2017 - 13:35

Hi everyone, I love to play video games with my friends and my favorite is battlefield 1. Next week is my friend's birthday and we are planning to gift him a good game. If you have any suggestions please tell me.

ToropyginMaxim's picture
ToropyginMaxim 14 November, 2016 - 15:12

I always didn't have enough time for games. I thought that it only can do harm to the brain. But now I know that it can help me in several ways. Now I can play games and get satisfaction without been captured by anxious thoughts.

nicolwht's picture
nicolwht 24 September, 2016 - 14:56

Nice news. I play online games - perhaps they're not so exciting as PC games, but they're also interesting

Rami34's picture
Rami34 5 May, 2016 - 01:25

I love videogames where you can cutomize your main character and you take different paths in the videogame depending on your decisions, those videogames are the most realistic.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 4 July, 2016 - 08:48

Hi One double five four two one!
What is GTA V? I have no idea.......
Good Telly And Video??

CherryBlossomEnglish's picture
CherryBlossomEnglish 28 February, 2018 - 16:34

Hi Elsa, GTA is a video game which is very popular among many boys. In this game you can manipulate your character, which comes differently in all parts. There are five parts. You play it with Xbox. You can live your own version of world in this game. However, you can't change the world, for example: texture, colour, architecture... You can be a robber, an average man or a boy (in GTA 5 you can be a boy who escaped from home.) So, I have explained the whole game.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 14 January, 2016 - 04:37

Hi Naturax. I don't play games much apart from some casual mobile phone games.
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)