Does your school have any problems with discipline? What happens when students step out of line?

Is discipline a problem in your school? What do teachers do when pupils behave badly in your country? A Scottish teenager had very strong opinions about discipline at her school. Read on to find out more.

What is bad behaviour?

UK schools are allowed to discipline pupils who behave badly in various ways. But what exactly is bad behaviour? The following is a list of serious and not-so-serious types of bad behaviour seen by a teacher in a London secondary school.

• Playing truant
  • Smoking, swearing, hitting, kissing, running, stealing
  • Not doing homework
  • Cheating in exams (copying from secret notes or another pupil)
  • Calling a teacher or another pupil bad names (bullying)
  • Not listening or not paying attention in lessons
  • Wearing unsuitable clothes for school.

Punishments in UK schools

It is illegal for schools to use physical punishments like hitting a student. Here are some of the ways that UK school children can be punished.

• Exclusion: a pupil is excluded from the school and cannot come back. The pupil has to find a new school or a different method of education (home tutor, special centre for difficult pupils).
  • Suspension: when a pupil is suspended they cannot enter the building or attend lessons until the school has a meeting about their case. Suspension can last from 1 to 45 days in a school term. The school usually gives work to do at home with a tutor (special teacher).
  • Detention: a pupil is detained. This means he or she is asked to stay at school at the end of the school day. The pupil must work for 30 minutes or an hour more before they are allowed to leave the school.
  • Lines: a pupil has to write a sentence many times (100 times) on a sheet of paper: An example sentence: I must not shout in class. This punishment is sometimes given during detention too.

Case study

Freya MacDonald, a 15-year-old pupil from Scotland, made the news in the UK when she refused to accept her school’s punishment. Freya’s family say that she was given detention many times for trivial things such as drinking fizzy drinks in class and coming into school through a fire door. After her secondary school gave her detention for the eleventh time, she went to a lawyer and took legal action against the school. The teenager said that it is not legal to keep a pupil in the school building if the student does not want to be there because Scottish law says that it is illegal to detain children against their will.

According to Scottish law every child has the right to an education. Freya says that repeated detentions disrupted her education and made it difficult for her to learn. She refused to return to school until the school respected her civil rights. She wants the headmaster and her teachers to sign a letter to promise they will respect her rights.

Hundreds of schools in Scotland were told not to use detention as a punishment because of Freya’s legal action.

Contracts

Many schools in the UK now give parents a home/school contract. This is a contract explaining the school discipline and rules. Parents must sign this document and agree that they accept the school’s rules. They are responsible for their child’s behaviour and must respect the discipline methods used in the school.

How does your school deal with discipline problems? Have you ever been punished at school?

Comments

laanilla23's picture
laanilla23 29 November, 2019 - 08:17

Hi users! My name is Ana and I'm from somewhere.
In my highschool is forbidden ,both teachers and students,to punish. However we have,as in most of highschools, punishments for those who misbehave, like a suspention.
From my point of view, I believe I'm a good student and I have rarely received a punishment.

Yosoyyoporquesoyyo's picture
Yosoyyoporquesoyyo 29 November, 2019 - 08:12

In the following lines I am going to talk about what my opinion about the punishments in my school.
In my opinion there are good punishments like detention which depend about the what they have done or putting parts which are like advertisements and when you have 3 you will goe to your house X days.
On the other hand there are bad punishments like stay after classes because I think that you don't need to stay in class when the lessons were finish.
That's all.

lruizlosar's picture
lruizlosar 29 November, 2019 - 08:04

Hi! Here in Spain when you have a bad behaviour the teachers put you a negative point but if it's very bad they can punish you with a report. When you have 3 reports you are expelled from the high school.

Claraa's picture
Claraa 29 November, 2019 - 08:04

Hello! I live in Spain. In my school there isn´t strict punishments, if someone do something bad he or she has to talk with the leadership for a suspension and they call to parents. Another punishment is detention and lines at the time of the playground.

Lolita's picture
Lolita 29 November, 2019 - 08:02

Hello! I live in Spain. Here the education system doesn't allow teachers punish so hard pupils. In my highschool I have never been punished because I am a good student. But for the annoying student maybe teachers call their parents and they are punished at break without going out to the playground.

acambrafal's picture
acambrafal 29 November, 2019 - 07:58

Well, I live in Spain. Here when we have a bad behaviour, firstly they demand our attention. If you still having that attitude they put negative marks to you that bring your final marks -0.1 less.
In case you insult a teacher or break one of the high school rules they penalise you with a report, which is sent to your parents to let them know. The accumulation of these reports leads to the expulsion for 1 day to 1 week. It depends on the number of reports you have.
Well, in my case, I have never been punished with a report but I have been given some negative points because of talking during lessons.
Greetings.

aariiaanneeee's picture
aariiaanneeee 29 November, 2019 - 07:57

Usually in Spain we have the same bad behaviour conception as they threated us with a "parte" and with three of them, they make you go home for a day or maybe three days.

Lajuls_'s picture
Lajuls_ 29 November, 2019 - 07:34

Normally, in Spain detention is during the break and not after class. In addition, if you don’t go there, you receive a warning called “parte”. If you have 3 of them, you get expelled for a day. The more partes you get, the more days you are expelled.
From my experience, I have never been a problematic student, therefore I have never got a “parte”, which by the way is a thing that my parents are proud of.

Lolaaa's picture
Lolaaa 28 November, 2019 - 20:02

Hi! I am from Spain!
In my high school there are some punishments if you have a bad behaviour, like:
-Exclusion
-Lines
-Suspension
-Call to parents
Last year my teacher punished me by calling my parents for talking to my partner all the time so after the discussion i didn't do it again. But i don't think my high school is very strict.

Fugasboy214's picture
Fugasboy214 7 November, 2019 - 05:41

I study in Ukraine. We do not have as current penalties for violation. There is abandonment after lessons, sending to the director. That's all

Bogdan777's picture
Bogdan777 7 November, 2019 - 19:15

Hey. I also study in Ukraine. There are several punishments in Ukrainian schools:
-Diary note
-Call to parents/Calling parents to school
-Staying after lessons
-Go to the director.

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 5 March, 2019 - 13:15

In my country high school doesn't punished student.because parents has more power then teacher.School teacher couldn't exclusion student to another school.Some school is strict for their behaviour during class.We may not use smart phone and may not drink tea.but most high school is not strict student what they do.Teacher pay attention for school bully and uniform .High school teacher recognize school bully is biggest problem.anyway I had punishment whenever I forget homework.I did extra home work and clean my class room.but High school teacher don't want to do that .some parents argue after punished student.

Carollinee45's picture
Carollinee45 12 September, 2017 - 09:34

Punishments in Czech schools:
Here are some of the ways the Czech school children can be punished. When you cheat you get a note because teacher wants to tell your parents what you did. In Czech schools teachers can't hit children. There isn't something like detention. Teachers solve problems in lessons or they give you extra homework.Exlusion isn't typical here either. They try to help students with their problems. We have a different system than in other countries. We can get a worse mark for bad behavior.

reborn's picture
reborn 21 May, 2017 - 10:28

When we hit our junior and make our school ashamed, we will be excluded from school
When we do something really bad like saying bad words and hitting, we must write lines (5 pages back to back)
When it's still the first time, the teacher will just call you. The second time, you need to do some punishments. The third time, the teacher will call your parents

I have ever been punished at school because my friends and I played with our phones in the classroom without telling my teacher. So, we had to clean the WHOLE school (restroom too!)

Ken's picture
Ken 23 May, 2017 - 09:29

Interesting, reborn, we have a very different culture.
First, we often write lines over 5 pages to remember characters or alphabet, which is not as a punishment but as a training.
Second, we occasionally clean our restroom in rotation, which is not as a punishment but as an ethic.
ᕕ(´ ω` )ᕗ

tHundeR's picture
tHundeR 10 May, 2017 - 03:58

Hello, i'm from Russia. Actually, we have punishments in schools, but not the same.
Punishments:
Exclusion (not from the school building, only from classroom, to the end of the lesson)
Notes/call to parents (teachers have talk with your parents, parents talk with about your behaviour.)
Detention ( staying after lesson(s) and repeat the lesson with pupil(s) who was detained.
I'm never been punished at school, thahks god. But my friends was.

ccg_01's picture
ccg_01 8 May, 2017 - 18:19

In my school here in Spain teachers have different kind of options to make their pupils obey them. The punishment will be worst depending of your behaviour. If it's just a little mistake they just give out to, but if the student don't change his maners, the teacher usually call to his parents.
When you have had some alerts from you teacher they put you a written warming and when you already have 3 you have a detention for a hall afternoon at school. And finally if you are a really bad pupil and you have done something really bad they suspend you for 1 to 5 days.
So I thing these are some punishments at my school and they are quite effective.

Alluha's picture
Alluha 17 January, 2017 - 13:27

Hello!
I've never been punished at school
My school deal with discipline problems on just one way: suspension
I'm from Brazil, lines is not common where I live !

katerini's picture
katerini 14 October, 2016 - 12:55

In my school there aren't that much strict punishments or rules. Of course there are all the common punishments like punishments for" bulling , coming late at school, hitting someone, forget to do your homework or stealling something that it isn't yours . But if you do something like that a lot of times you must talk with the headteacher who is going to call your parents and inform them about your behavior Also teachers are very serious about bulling . If a kid bullies you they will punish it right away. I thing that the rules aren't very strict . I have never been punished at school and I don't realy want to.My opinion is that if every kid follow the rules noοne will have problem!

donya123's picture
donya123 4 January, 2016 - 19:04

In my school there are also strict rules, like suspension, detenion and lines. Actually my school punishes pupuil for every mistake. There are strict rule, which we have to follow. My school is very serious about rules. I mean rules like forgetting homework, attending late at class, disrespecting your teacher, but if someone is bullying you the teachers do not care. Even if you talk to them. Yes I have been punished once, but at that time I was too young. I had to write ten pages, which included the sentences that I will never eat during a lesson. so far I remember I have not been punished anymore. I think we should follow the rules and recpect the teacher but we want to be respected to. We pupil have the right to speak up our rights.

LolitaFlores's picture
LolitaFlores 24 July, 2015 - 12:49

Hello, I am from Spain, and in my school the punishments are:

-notes to your parents
-lines (200)
-suspensions
-exclusion for one week or more.

Once I had to write 200 lines saying "I mustn't speak in the class when the teacher is explaining something".

Lola.

Tolstaya63's picture
Tolstaya63 24 April, 2015 - 07:03

Hello!
I'm from Russia.
Some punished in Russian school:
Expulsions,
Detention,
Suspension,
Teacher call perents.
For example:
I've never beer punished at school, thanks good! But my friend was punished. He played traunt. The teacher called his parents :( His parent are very strict. So he was punished by his parents. They didn't allow him to go for a walk in the evening.

Yuliponomarenko's picture
Yuliponomarenko 23 April, 2015 - 05:16

I'm from Russia. We are not offen punished at our school for bad behaviour Swearing, playing truant or any other bad behaviour aren't punished strictly. The teacher can call your parents or you'll have a talk with the principle. That's all!

IShchu's picture
IShchu 21 April, 2015 - 16:07

I am from Russia. It was once time when I was punished at school. We broke the school door.
There are some punishments at my school. Most effective of them is a serious talk with the headmaster.

BruceLee's picture
BruceLee 20 April, 2015 - 09:16

Hello, I'm from Russia. Bad-behaved pupils are usually punished by a talk with a head-master. He talks with a defaulter and decides how to punish that pupil.
I was in the principle's room for a discipline issue. I came to school with my bear through the window:)

Englishrocksmysocks's picture
Englishrocksmysocks 20 April, 2015 - 08:38

As for my school (in Russia) we haven't got a lot of serious discipline issues. But what a big problem for us is not wearing school uniform. Usually we are punished by a talk with a head master and sometimes teacher can make a call to our parents. I have never been punished at school.

Ken's picture
Ken 19 April, 2015 - 08:06

To be honest, with a group of friends, I got a serious talk with the principal because of picking pomegranates off the tree in school premise and eating them. My mother was occasionally called by my homeroom teacher whenever we were badly behaved such as sucking on a candy, playing balls in the wrong place, climbing up gym mats leaning against the wall, and for lots of trivial things! Like Freya as an innocent kid, I wasn't really sure why not, but I gradually realized that it mattered not in terms of 'discipline' or 'rules', but rather in terms of 'for our better social life'. We're all connected somewhere in the social life where 'to respect' reduces frictions between people. We made a point to break the 'school rules', but now I'm as meek as a lamb, so are my old friends! Trust me! :-)))

EarlyBird's picture
EarlyBird 13 April, 2015 - 12:00

I am from Russia. Here we never write lines and detention is not practiced at all. We can get a serious talk with the headmaster. It's not very pleasant!