Oliver and Alfie are at home when Daisy and Amy arrive. Sophie is in Hammerfest in northern Norway.

194

We use adverbs of frequency – like sometimes or usually – to say how often we do things, or how often things happen.

I never have any problems with adverbs of frequency.

OK, let's see what you know. We use adverbs of frequency in this order, according to their meaning.

100%           0%
always usually/normally often sometimes occasionally hardly ever never

Are there any missing?

I think that’s most of them. You could include frequently, with usually. We use not very often too.

Very good, you’re right. These are the most common adverbs, although there are more.

They always hang out together.
The Northern Lights are usually green.
You normally see them best in September or March.
It’s often cloudy.

What do you notice about the position of the adverbs?

They are usually before the main verb, or between the auxiliary and the main verb. But they come after the verb to be.

Excellent! Can they also be at the beginning or the end of the sentence?

Yes, I think so. 'Sometimes I'm alone.' That sounds OK.

Yes, we can use some adverbs of frequency at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis.

Occasionally I meet her for a coffee.

We can use usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a sentence, and sometimes and often at the end. We use adverb expressions like a lot or not + (very) much after the main verb too.

She travels a lot.
He doesn’t study very much.

Be careful with never. It is already negative, so we can’t use it with not.

I never go to the supermarket with my mother.

I’ve just remembered some more expressions! What about once a week, twice a year, etc.?

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about those.

Take the medicine three times a day.
We usually go swimming twice a month.
You see them once in a lifetime, if you travel.

You see, I’m not always annoying.

OK, sorry. I’m not always right either. Usually, but not always!

Grammar:

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?

Comments

lekimkhanh0109's picture
lekimkhanh0109 31 May, 2017 - 16:47

Can I ask a question? Is there not idiom learning in here?
If not yet, can you make it for us? I think it's quite important and useful to person wanting to take part in competitions, like IELTS.
Thank you so much!

Sacrifice's picture
Sacrifice 8 April, 2017 - 15:52

My hobbies is watching a movie. horrors movie is my favourite. i often watch the movies at night in my laptop after i finished my job. The most my favourite movie is The Walking Dead, I had followed the story since 4 years ago.

phm2003's picture
phm2003 3 March, 2017 - 07:53

My hobby is using computer in the free time. I often do it with my friend at the IT room. It is amazing because my friend are both good at computer

pparedes984's picture
pparedes984 3 January, 2017 - 03:04

my hobbies are playing basketball and watching movies and tv series. I usually practice basketball because I have to practice every day of the week but I can not practice all the days so I go sometimes to te practice.
on saturdays i always watch tv series and somerimes I watch a movie

VShirleyCh's picture
VShirleyCh 2 January, 2017 - 05:44

My hobbies are every the sports as basketball, football, tennis, pin pon.The more sports, the better.
The bad thing about all this is that I can not practice it every day or whenever I want, I have to wait for the weekend or when I have free time

hadia's picture
hadia 28 October, 2016 - 16:24

Hey Ken.....!!!!
I missed U....you're a great friend.....I've logged in after a long time and I can see your comments growing more anf more. It's great to see your lovely comments and discussions. You're lucky. I'm not. My busy school schedule doesn't allow me to go online daily. I love this site. But I am happy I've learnt so much.
Thanks for commenting.
Well??? Did you miss my not-so-interesting-and-boring comments??? ;)))))) :D
See ya...

Ken's picture
Ken 31 October, 2016 - 15:21

Hi hadia,
(o^∀^o)
Glad to hear you're very well!
I thought you were busy for boring conversations!!! ;))))) :D

Cheers for your kind comment to me anyway.
*・゚゚・*:.。..。.:*゚:*:✼✿(ღ✪v✪)。゚:*:✼.。✿.。

lane2402's picture
lane2402 22 October, 2016 - 05:29

I like Uzuaki Naruto . I go to school every day , I hate going to school. I don`t have free time to read books , watch TV and cook . I very like cooking but my mom never wants me cook . Bye. I hate life.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 26 June, 2017 - 11:45

Hey lane2402,
You might hate school, but education is your life. If you try to enjoy studies maybe you can enjoy life too! Look at me, even I don't have time to enjoy life, but I'm still happy, you know. You can always find time for yourself. Here's a tip, you can finish most of your homework at school! And if your mom doesn't want you to cook, she must be worried about your safety. The best thing you can do is that help your mom in cooking and gain her confidence. Once she sees that you're ready, she'll allow you to cook!!! :)))
You're too young to think about all these things. Enjoy!

Ken's picture
Ken 25 October, 2016 - 15:19

Hey Lane! (Ü)
If we become friends, I'll make you feel happy and you love life for sure!! ୧꒰*´꒳`*꒱૭✧
*。ヾ(。>v<。)ノ゙*。

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 24 October, 2016 - 16:13

Hi lane2402,
We were sorry to read the end of your comment. We hope that things will get better soon. If you're having a hard time it may help to talk to an adult or a good friend that you can trust about the things that are making you feel upset and sad.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

ealkan's picture
ealkan 20 August, 2016 - 07:16

I'm crazy about rollerskating. I love my rollerblade. It's too crazy. I want everyone skates everytime. So I advice other people to skating. And I skate four times in a week

hgsmf's picture
hgsmf 20 August, 2016 - 03:41

My hobbies are drawing and learning English. I often draw once a week and learn English every day.

Batuhan318's picture
Batuhan318 19 August, 2016 - 21:41

My hobbies are playing footbal and drive a car. I sometimes playing football but I always drive a car. :)

aminetugcea's picture
aminetugcea 19 August, 2016 - 20:58

My hobbies is listening to music and playing the guitar. I often listening and playing q

Panda2016's picture
Panda2016 9 August, 2016 - 11:39

I always read manga, it's my favourite activity. I can give you some of my favourite manga's title. I have a huge desk and on it there are all my mangas ! I looove manga !

Ken's picture
Ken 10 August, 2016 - 09:20

Hi Panda
I've got questions for you.
1. What are the titles of your favourits?
2. Do you read boys' manga, too?
3. How old are you?

hadia's picture
hadia 25 October, 2016 - 02:33

Hey Ken!
Do you watch Anime??? I haven't ever read manga but I love watching Anime.......that's one of my fav. hobby :)

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 18 June, 2017 - 10:45

I haven't read manga but I've watched a few of them. They are good, and you can learn a lot of Japanese words from them. My fav manga is Yokai watch. And yeah, watching anime is one of my hobbies too. Pokemon, Beyblade, Doraemon, Naruto, oh, the list is endless.... :)))

Ken's picture
Ken 29 October, 2016 - 14:19

Hi hadia.
Thanks for the comment.
I guess you're a fan of Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan or Sazae-san, huh?
d(-_^)good!!