In any listening exam there is a lot you can do to prepare yourself before the teacher plays the recording and you actually listen to the text. If you are well prepared before you even hear the first word of the text, you will do much better in the test.

Tell us what you usually do before a listening exam.

Comments

Patty0106's picture
Patty0106 17 December, 2016 - 21:14

Before a listening exam I usually read the questions, then I try to keep calm and not to think about anything in order that I can understand what I am going to listen.

AnnaNguyen's picture
AnnaNguyen 16 August, 2016 - 04:30

Hi, I have a problem in my vocabulary so it governs my listening exam a lot, can you help me?

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 16 August, 2016 - 11:05

Hi!
Your vocabulary will improve the more you read and listen to English - so try and have as much contact with English as you can. We have a lot of listening practice on this website. Read as much as possible too and you will see that your vocabulary will get better and better.
Good luck in your next listening exam!
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

HL's picture
HL 22 December, 2015 - 16:45

Hello everyone,

I would like to say that before any listening exam we have to prepare all materials that we need and keep clam. Then I read question many times to get the idea of that this will help everyone to do better in exam.

melodiana's picture
melodiana 22 December, 2014 - 19:04

I read the questions many times so I know what I am going to listen to. However, I really have this problem of not being able to hear the record well. I am worried about the ILETS exam.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 23 December, 2014 - 08:57

Hi melodiana,
On our LearnEnglish site we have a lot of practice material for the IELTS exam. Here's the link: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/ielts We also have a lot of listening practice in our Listening skills section. This will help you to prepare for the exam too.
Good luck! Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 11 October, 2014 - 14:35

Hi melikerior,
This section is all about how to do listening exams well, but there aren't any audio recordings for you to practise your listening here. You can find lots of listening practice in the Listening skills practice section. Try the listenings in that section to practise for your next exam. :)
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 1 December, 2013 - 02:25

Hi chimis. You're very welcome! Thanks for writing and telling us. Do you have listening tests coming up soon?
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 2 June, 2015 - 07:03

Hi trnmtllmv,
Have a look at these pagesfor advice about listening and a practice test:

Also, the British Council is running a free, online course for IELTS at the moment. The course has already started but you can still join up. Here's the link:

There is also a section about IELTS on our LearnEnglish website:

Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)