Have you ever thought about taking up a musical instrument? Here's the perfect guide for you.

Reading

Choosing a musical instrument

Many people would like to learn how to play a musical instrument, but they are put off by one big problem: what to play? Here are a few questions to help you decide.

What kind of music do you like?

Many instruments are versatile, but some are more suited to certain types of music. Although there is some classical repertoire for the saxophone, for example, people associate it more with jazz, and it is not a permanent feature of many orchestras. Some instruments may lend themselves better than others to the music you like, so consider this before you start.

Do you want to play with other people?

Think about your long-term future as a musician. If you want to play with other people, what sort of instrument would be most practical? The initial attraction of playing a dazzling solo instrument like trumpet, violin, flute or lead guitar might fade when you realise how many other people are competing with you to get the main part with the same instrument! If you want to play rock music, there will always be a demand for bass players or drummers, and if you fancy being part of an orchestra, the bassoon is a great bet to make sure you are always needed.

Where are you going to practise?

Many people live in flats and practising the drums, for example, will drive your neighbours crazy. Think about where and when you are going to practise, as well as the patience of the people you live with or near. Electric versions of instruments like the piano, drums, guitar and even violin give you the option of playing into the night using headphones, while your housemates sleep in peace. Alternatively, you may need to consider going to a school or a community centre to practise.

How much money can you spend?

This is quite a big factor. A lot of instruments can be purchased in different price ranges, for example, guitars. But this doesn’t alter the fact that many, such as the piano, are always pretty expensive. If you can’t afford your chosen instrument, will you be able to borrow someone else’s or hire one?

Are there any physical limitations?

If you’re small and don’t like lifting heavy objects, you won’t want to carry around a double bass. Apart from that, use your common sense, and don’t let your perceived physical shortcomings put you off. Who says small skinny people can’t play the tuba? It’s true that some wind instruments require a lot of lung power but with the right coaching, everyone can develop the right technique.

Still not sure?

Talk to people you know who already play instruments. They might even let you try theirs. It’s also a good idea to find an experienced music teacher, preferably one who plays a few different instruments, who can give you some advice and push you in the right direction.

If you find an instrument you love and that suits your needs, you’ll find the time spent choosing was well worth it. Good luck with making your choice!

Which instrument would you like to learn?

Comments

sona's picture
sona 7 November, 2015 - 14:56

I would like to play guitar,because I think it is a great instrument,and you can make with it many sensitive musics,which I love so much. I am also a fan of Ed Sheeran.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 10 November, 2015 - 06:19

Hi sona and giang!
I like that song, too! Everything has changed. Can you sing it, Giang? ♪
Elsa☆

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 13 November, 2015 - 02:22

Hi Elsa, I can sing it very well. ( I am curious why my English speaking is not good whereas I can sing English songs ( ballad and country music) excellently. : D
What about you ?

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 14 November, 2015 - 10:42

Fantastic, giang!
Then why don't you play Ed's part?…or…... Taylo's??
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now ♬
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now ♬
Ha ha ha ha ♪♪ :D

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 15 November, 2015 - 09:44

" All I know is we said "hello"
And your eyes look like coming " my mind :P
"All I know is simple name"
Everything never changes. :D

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 8 November, 2015 - 03:41

Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift -a perfect cooperation.
(Guitar and guitar)- Multiply - Everything has change!

Tony2003's picture
Tony2003 8 October, 2015 - 01:06

I would like to play piano and organ because it is easy to play and carrying. One day I would like to be like the second Mozart just because he is the best piano player

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 8 November, 2015 - 07:30

Hello Tony !
Aha ha! Are you sure?
Wow…. you'll be the second Superman or the Spiderman because for you, 'it's easy to play and carrying' !! Great☆ :))

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 8 November, 2015 - 07:25

Sounds good giang!
Me either! Do you know her song "style"?
What do you think about the 'style'…..? ☆

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 14 February, 2016 - 11:57

I am sorry, I should have used past tense to express the idea in the comment below. I was ( not "I am") Taylor Swift's fan. I am not interested in her music any longer.
Her song " Style", I'm sorry, I don't like it. " Style" is not my style.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 26 September, 2015 - 22:33

I like to play any kind of music instruments (if I can play!).
But I don't like to play harmonica. I'm okay when I just blow it to make sounds, but when I absorb it, I feel sick!

Hello88's picture
Hello88 26 September, 2015 - 16:14

I would love to learn how to play the drums. Drums are versatile and can be played in any type of music such as rock, which is my absolute favourite. Also, I really like the fascinating sound they make. It always makes me dance and have fun. Although I can’t play it, I enjoy watching others do.
I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the drums. However, I believe that this will happen one day.

pinkpurple's picture
pinkpurple 16 August, 2015 - 09:17

I would love to learn and play guitar as it is a instrument that always fascinates me right from the time i started to listen to music.I am terribly fond of guitar and am sure that one day i will be able to play my favorite instrument and fulfill my hearts desire.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 16 May, 2015 - 23:39

I'd like to try the cello! But maybe I'll give up soon. I just Ike listening to the perfect sound..!

hadia's picture
hadia 14 May, 2015 - 16:10

I'd love to play violin and piano! It's a beautiful, melodious ,peaceful and wonderful thinking when I dream about playing violin and piano especially violin! I wish someone could teach me! Hm.........Maybe somebody someday would do this for........who knows???? Well! I've only concern towards learning it! Nothing else!!!!

fresciouz's picture
fresciouz 6 March, 2015 - 08:23

I would like to learn how to play guitar but nobody can teach me. I love watching those who play guitar .

venkatgade10's picture
venkatgade10 15 July, 2014 - 21:59

I learn guitar from you tube videos i wouldnt say i am pefect but i can play well. I am very much interested to learn music instrument, i will join school soon to practice it more.

SweetRobin3's picture
20124x
SweetRobin3 10 May, 2014 - 08:54

i would like to learn to play on oiano and guitar
but guitar more than piano
because guitar is my dream :D

NMemmedova's picture
NMemmedova 2 May, 2014 - 19:14

I like piano..i can play the piano..
I don`t go to piano lesson but i can play the piano...