Magazine topic:
Music

Amy Winehouse

by :
James Coop

When news of Amy Winehouse's sad death filtered through, it came as a shock. Many would argue it was an accident waiting to happen, that they had been expecting it, a necessary evil of her wild lifestyle. Still, she had existed with drink and drug problems for so long, it seemed she almost had an angel looking out for her, much like a female Keith Richards.
Amy's major label career began with the release of her critically acclaimed debut album ‘Frank’. Nominated for the Mercury Prize, the album's soft jazz stylings were well received, and she would go on to win an Ivor Novello award for the song ‘Stronger than Me’. However, it was with the release of Back to Black that she took the world by storm. Shifting millions of copies, it propelled her into the limelight, a position she continued to hold due not only to her voice and songwriting skills but also because of  her tumultuous personal life.
Her music was different. At a time when popular music was so heavily manufactured she seemed like a breath of fresh air. The horns blared out direct references to Motown and soul records from a bygone time. Her voice howled songs of pain and misery, but with a sensitivity that anyone could relate to. Her brash personality, and outlandish sense of style, were only a facade for a delicate and caring soul. There is no doubt that her death has guaranteed her immortality, with her albums selling heavily and tributes and eulogies pouring in remembering her.
Once she had gone though, it was merely a matter of time before talk of a post-humous album being released was bandied about. Sure enough, ‘Lioness: Hidden Treasures’ will be released on December 5th, just in time for the Christmas sales. Whilst there may be some artistic merits in the album, the release smacks of a cynical money spinning ploy by her record label.
Posthumous albums are a curse for the music fan. There is that small glimmer of hope that they may contain an unreleased gem, a 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' for instance. But, for every 'Ghetto Gospel', there are hundreds of songs that didn't see the light of day for good reasons. The allure of that final album will nearly always be too strong, and the record labels can rub their hands together, knowing they've squeezed one last payday out of an artist, without caring about their besmirched reputation.
Sadly, there are too many people to profit from Amy Winehouse's death to leave her legacy untouched. Perhaps though, it is the ultimate testament to her genius that so many people feel so attached to her music, that they are so willing to buy anything released with her name attached to it.

Are you an Amy Winehouse fan? What's your favourite song of hers?

Comments

KongOskar6523's picture
KongOskar6523 8 May, 2018 - 11:42

I am a fan of hers. My favourite Amy Winehouse song is valerie featuring Mark Ronson.
I Like This Picture.

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 26 June, 2016 - 15:26

Hmm.... I really don't know what to say 'cause i'm not a fan.
But I do admit that she has a voice of an angel :))) Her songs are awesome.
She's gone. An extraordinary singer is gone.
Rip in peace, we always love you.

SandraB's picture
SandraB 28 November, 2013 - 21:49

I wasn't a fan of her,but some of her songs are really good.Personally,my favourite is Tears Dry One Their Own.

Bora F's picture
Bora F 12 March, 2013 - 16:36

amy was a perfect singer ..she had her own style and she doesn't matter about people opinion....in a few word she was perfect.. RIP,,,,,,

Just Era's picture
Just Era 11 March, 2013 - 22:49

Natalija's picture
Natalija 7 March, 2013 - 22:28

She was awesome, one of the best. I will never forget her, it's a pity she ended in that way, but she left an extraordinary work behind her and we will remember her. My favorite songs are Back to black and Valerie.
<3 Amy

ellen's picture
ellen 9 February, 2013 - 10:53

Yes I am a fan of Amy Winehouse and i like her songs.She was a great singer.
My favorite singer Rihanna and Justin Barber.

Gangam's picture
Gangam 12 October, 2012 - 10:49

Amy was a really creative and talented singer. She had rather powerful voice. She wrote songs by herself and everybody who at least one time had an opportunity to listen to her pieces realize that she was unique as a singer. But, in my opinion, she was unique not only as a singer, but also as a human. Each of her songs are full of emotion and we can feel in what mood Amy was during writing her songs. From early childhood parents accustomed her to listen to soul and jazz musics, and that made a great influence at her. I think her death might be a lesson for everybody of us. Even the most original and creative person have problems which they are not able to solve by themselves. Unfortunately, rehabs did not managed to help her and she died at the age of 27 because of her being drug-addicted. I think that people lost the best soul singer in the whole world.

Helen's picture
Helen 25 September, 2012 - 20:41

Talented, extraordinary, original – these words are about Amy Winehouse, a brilliant singer whose career ended up on the twenty-seventh year of life. She definitely wasn’t an angel and had some serious problems with drugs but he fans loved her music in spite of her wild lifestyle. She sang with all her heart and soul and everyone can feel it while listening to her songs. Amy Winehouse’s outlandish personality and powerful voice made her very special. Frankly speaking, I can say that I like her a bit freaky style and her very emotional and thought-provoking music. Unfortunately she died but I’m sure she is immortal in hearts of her fans who will always remember her.

Marusia's picture
Marusia 24 September, 2012 - 13:16

She was not like other artists! She was original! Amy sang what she thought and felt...Her songs make me forget about everything and dance ,like crazy, on the street )) I love songs with meaning.I love Amy songs! Everybody miss her :( She was so true and open...But it was her destiny to die in young age ..Brilliant people died first ;( We love u , Amy !

D2310's picture
D2310 25 September, 2012 - 19:14

It is a great article!!! I think that Amy Winehouse is really good singer and strong person. I think Amy is a good person, because she didn`t afraid to be not like everyone else. She had very powerful voice. Her songs play really big role in my live and my favorite song is "Valerie".

Miley's picture
Miley 15 March, 2013 - 12:17

I think she would have more fans and her future would be greater too..but still Emmy is a big natural TALENT..