Earth Hour is an annual event which asks you to switch off all your lights for one hour. The aim is to involve as many people as possible in positive change for our planet.

What is Earth Hour?

Earth Hour is organised by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and it's a big event usually at the end of March every year. On this evening, people 'go dark' – that is, switch off lights in their homes, schools and businesses all at the same time for one hour.

Earth Hour started in Australia in 2007, when 2.2 million people in Sydney turned off all unnecessary lights for an hour. Since then it has grown into an international event, and many countries around the world have taken part. Famous buildings that have gone dark for Earth Hour include the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge, the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace in London, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Forbidden City in Beijing and New York's Empire State Building. Even astronauts on the International Space Station have taken part by reducing their power use on the station, and Google has shown its support by making a dark homepage for the event.

What's the idea behind Earth Hour?

The idea is to raise awareness of environmental issues and call for action to protect nature, so that people enjoy healthy, happy and sustainable lives now and in the future.

It's true that switching off the lights for just one hour saves only a small amount of power. But this is only the beginning. On one level, joining in Earth Hour makes people think about the problem of climate change and what we can do in everyday life to protect nature. For example, eating less meat, using low-energy electrical items instead of high-energy ones and using green forms of transport all help the planet.

But on another level, a large number of people all acting together sends a powerful message to governments and companies. It pushes them to take urgent action on a large scale by making changes to laws and by considering green issues when making big decisions.

What does '60+' mean?

The logo of Earth Hour is '60+'. The number 60 is for the 60 minutes of Earth Hour, and the plus invites people to keep on taking action even after Earth Hour is finished. In fact, people who join in Earth Hour say that taking part makes them want to do more for the environment. The climate activist Greta Thunberg says that 'Earth Hour is every hour of every day.'

What else do people do, apart from switching off the lights?

There are a lot of events that people can join. There are concerts performed with acoustic instruments instead of electric ones, and using candles instead of electric light. Celebrity chefs have created special recipes for families to prepare and eat by candlelight. There are also tree-planting sessions, group walks and runs, and meditation sessions.

Why March?

Around the end of March in the northern and southern hemispheres, the days and nights are the same length, which is called an equinox. It means that at this time of year, the sunset is at a similar time in both hemispheres, so it is dark in the evening in each country for the Earth Hour switch-off.

Do you think Earth Hour is a good idea? Will you take part?

Comments

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 20 February, 2019 - 08:48

I took part of this event last year.I switched off my smartphone ,pc,other unnecessary electricity. Modern life too much use electricity as well as internet . I occasionally switched off computer and smartphone to reduce electric power and spend online .

najdabucan's picture
najdabucan 23 October, 2016 - 12:08

This is very important event and we should respect it. One hour is not all day! Switch the lights and make the Earth better place! :)

sharu_bookworm's picture
sharu_bookworm 1 March, 2015 - 16:37

I am definitely participating in this event. My family and I do this every year. We often play Monopoly or Scrabble in candlelight! It's incredibly fun! :)
Besides, its for a noble cause, so I support this wholeheartedly. Let's show our love to our Mother Earth!

Little Dragon's picture
Little Dragon 8 December, 2014 - 12:59

I would love to, but I'm not sure if my parents would agree! In my country, people do celebrate this, but in a kinda boring way.

ChocolateFlake26's picture
ChocolateFlake26 3 November, 2014 - 14:03

I'd love to take part on Earth Hour 2015, because it's sounds like a great idea and I've never done it before.

jasminemeer's picture
jasminemeer 20 October, 2014 - 14:54

Try to realize the importance of this world .This world give us so many gifts .Now its time to give some sweet gifts to our own beloved world.Love you, my planet .I would try to do something that can make my world and the sweet people of my world much happier than ever.May GOD give me success in my intention.

Lorriee's picture
Lorriee 31 March, 2014 - 14:56

Unfortunately I didn't take part of it this year, but i would like to joint next year. Maybe I'm going to do much more things to sava our beautiful planet. :)

chimis's picture
chimis 25 March, 2014 - 13:57

this event is very interesting but i've never taken part. I think we not only turned off the electricity for one hour but also for many hour to protect the environment. Who agree with me ?

cklj's picture
19483x
cklj 22 March, 2014 - 13:51

This event is great. I've heard for the Earth hour before, but I've never taken part. This year I'd love to do that, cause the Earth deserves that. It's a beautiful way to show that we love and care about our planet.

ahlaom's picture
ahlaom 21 March, 2014 - 22:09

Yes of course I'd love to take a part and I will do something to show my love to the earth !!! It's wonderful event that encourage people to do some thing! To help the earth but sadly my country doesn't celebrate this event.just like niluh ☜(*^﹏^*)

Niluh's picture
Niluh 21 March, 2014 - 15:23

Yes, i'd love to take a part! It's amazing event that encourages people to do small thing to save the earth. Unfortunately, my country doesn't celebrate this event like in the UK.

dzeni's picture
dzeni 15 March, 2014 - 12:36

Yes, of course. It`s a small thing for one person but if all people around the world do that it will be important thing for our planet.